Hard Drive Problems - Unmountable Boot Volume?

tomhealy 21:59 20 Apr 2003

When i try to start up my computer, it gets to the WinXP loading screen and then i get the dreaded blue screen and a message saying UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME.

Is there any way to make it bootable without losing the 20Gb or so that is already on it?

LastChip 22:34 20 Apr 2003

You need to set your computer to boot from the CD drive via the BIOS. If you need further explanation on that, please post back.

When the computer boots from the CD, choose the recovery option and follow the on screen prompts.

For more information on a possible cause click here

tomhealy 23:04 20 Apr 2003

How do i use the recovery option? I've loaded that before but I just get a command prompt. What do i do once i get that?

AndySD 23:07 20 Apr 2003

When it says UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME is the second parameter (0xbbbbbbbb) of the Stop error is 0xC0000032

tomhealy 23:13 20 Apr 2003

Sorry, just read the microsoft page and it tells me what to do :)

tomhealy 23:19 20 Apr 2003

AndySD

Yes it is. Am trying the resolution suggested by Microsoft. Will let you know what happens.

PS.

Does anyone know why the 'microsoft' in my message get underlined? Is it something to do with 'Smart-Tags'?

VoG™ 23:22 20 Apr 2003

PC Advisor now highlights keywords selected by our advertisers, typically a vendor name, product or service. Keywords are underlined in green and are hyper-linked to the advertiser's site.

MAJ 23:23 20 Apr 2003

From the top of this page, tomhealy.

"PC Advisor now highlights keywords selected by our advertisers, typically a vendor name, product or service. Keywords are underlined in green and are hyper-linked to the advertiser's site."

tomhealy 00:53 21 Apr 2003

Silly me! Never actually read that bit up there!

Used recovery console, ran chkdsk /r and now, an hour or so later, all is working again!

Thanks everyone for your help!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

The secrets of creating gory VFX

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

WhatsApp : comment lire vos messages sans que l’expéditeur le sache