Hard Drive Problem?

SURVEY 19:50 09 Nov 2011

Recently my 8 year old Mesh XP desktop has been making a noise on startup which I think I have traced to the fan at the rear of the casing. I have cleaned the fan but the noise persits but quietns after half an hour or so. Today I have noticed that when trying to access anything there is a low vibration that I believe may be coming from the hard drive. Is this how an imminent drive failure can sound?

SURVEY 23:49 09 Nov 2011

Are there any specific signs to look for when a drive is going down?

northumbria61 23:55 09 Nov 2011

Check ALL the fans within your case - there is one on your PSU which has a metal cover on - sometimes the fan blades can catch on this. If you find it is this unscrew this metal cover and slightly bend it away from the fan blades then re-secure it.

northumbria61 23:59 09 Nov 2011

You can test your Hard Drive for problems using FREE diagnostic tools which you can find in this LINK enter link description here

rdave13 00:17 10 Nov 2011

I'd buy a new hard drive now and clone as soon as possible. It's like driving a car, you hear a different 'noise' and you know something is wrong. You either do something about it or hope for the best. Diagnostic tools are umm OK but I wouldn't recommend taking the results as gospel.

Number six 00:28 10 Nov 2011

low vibration - yes, almost certainly your hard drive. Backup/clone/replace - quick!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?