Hard drive problem

Hercule Marple 20:53 25 Mar 2010

My old hard drive has been in storage for a while. It has Windows and a load of other stuff on it. I'vekept it as a back-up drive. I decided to check out exactly what was on it today. I set it up as slave, with the current HDD as master. I've done this before alright.

This time it hasn't worked. When I try to open it, I get "The disk in drive E is not formatted.", and it's showing as empty in Properties. I know it has about 30GB of data on it, though.

They're IDE HDDs, both Seagate, and my OS is Windows XP.

Any idea how I can access the data on the slave?

Technotiger 21:00 25 Mar 2010

Try it in a USB External drive enclosure.

Hercule Marple 21:03 25 Mar 2010

I don't have one.

Technotiger 21:06 25 Mar 2010

I am in the Portsmouth area - if you are anywhere near me, I would be happy to assist, using my own enclosure.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:10 25 Mar 2010

Testdisc click here
Disk Investigator click here
PCInspector click here
R_Studio click here

Hercule Marple 21:11 25 Mar 2010

Thanks, but I wouldn't do that, and I'm several hundred miles away anyway!

Has anyone any idea what would cause it to suddenly not work like this? It's been securely stored, and it worked fine about six months ago. Could Windows updates have something to do with it?

Hercule Marple 21:21 25 Mar 2010

Thanks, Fruit Bat, but I don't know how to use the first two, and the other two don't seem to be any use.

Think I'll just remove the drive, put it back in it's box, and forget about it.

Poitier 15:03 26 Mar 2010

As you do not have an external enclosure you might consider investing in one of these to do the job.
click here

Hercule Marple 17:11 26 Mar 2010

It eventually worked, after I'd re-started the PC half a dozen times. I've transferred everything I want over to my regular hard drive. I've run the built-in Windows error checking programme, but that doesn't show anything (is it supposed to display results?). I'm guessing that it's on it's last legs, and only working occasionally, but I don't know for certain. I might format it and put the contents of my regular drive on it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from Petya?

Microsoft Surface Studio – the artist's hands-on review

Original iPhone review

Comment mettre à jour Kodi ?