hard drive problem

adamagain 00:58 16 Aug 2009

Have a second hard drive which was working up to few days ago.
Now it shows in the my computer and device manager but I can not see anything on it.

It says the file or directory is corrupt

I tried a recovery program for pictures and it managed to see them so Is there a free software program I can use to recover all the files or a program to fix the hard drive.

thanks

sunnystaines 02:12 16 Aug 2009

time to run chkdsk to check for bad sectors.

goto mycomputer - right click the drive icon - propert -tools tab -error checking check now- put ticks in both boxes - click start- you may tell you to schedule scan on next boot up click yes and restartpc.

the pc will restart in a blue screen and spend a while scanning before going into windows. for results goto admin tools - event view and scroll down the log for "winlogon" timed at restart click on winlogon and read results it will tell how many repairs and how many bad sectors if any.

Technotiger 06:31 16 Aug 2009

Yes, this direct download is excellent,

click here

before you start the program, change "image" to .jpg, otherwise you will end up with thousands of little images of all the icons on the drive as well as photos.

adamagain 00:30 20 Aug 2009

Hi sunnystaines.

tried it but nothing happens.
I click start but the screen just stays as it was.

Is the computer supposed to start the check as soon as i press start or show another screen showing the progress etc.

Technotiger i was after a program to find all the files on the drive not just jpg etc.
I just tried a program that found pictures to test if i could access the drive still in case i need to copy from it if i cant fix the problem.
Thanks

PcTestCard.com 06:32 20 Aug 2009

If the device manager sees the drive but not in "My computer" probably the drive is not partitioned or the partition table already lost.

Run from DOS the "chkdsk c: /r/v" command to scan the HDD for the error.

If you want your data back, try the "recovery pro" app that can restore the data on the drive for you inlcuding drive that already deleted the partition.

Hope this helps!
Bill

adamagain 00:41 21 Aug 2009

PcTestCard.com

Hi It shows in my computer and device manager.
When i try to do as sunnystaines surgest it say corrupt directory.

This is for a slave 2nd drive not the C drive im trying to sortout.

Thanks

leah2255 01:49 21 Aug 2009

sounds good for what sunnystaines said. Maybe i can have a try. THX.

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?