Hard Drive problem

razzzbo 12:13 27 Feb 2007

PC was working fine. Switched on next day to find it going round in loops:- reeboot and it goes ok till reading from HD, then after a few sec's reboots and carries on for as long as you let it. I replaced the HD and put the faulty HD as the slave, ran a virus check and just said HD needs formatting. Ran a data rescue prog and all the stuff is there, I believe there is a way of re-allocating the FAT but I have looked on several sites but not found any help

Rtus 12:56 27 Feb 2007

If you replaced the drive & put a bootable sys on it it will automatically deselect the slave O/S making it non active Check with partition magic or similar what its partition status is. you may have been able to recover the original setup if you try system restore/use safe mode to recover it.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:53 27 Feb 2007

The simplest way to repair or re-create MBR is to run Microsoft's standard utility called FDISK with a parameter /MBR, like

A:\> FDISK.EXE /MBR

FDISK is a standard utility included in MS-DOS, Windows 95, 98, ME.

If you have Windows NT / 2000 / XP, you can boot from startup floppy disks or CD-ROM, choose repair option during setup, and run Recovery Console. When you are logged on, you can run FIXMBR command to fix MBR on the main drive.

UncleP 22:17 27 Feb 2007

From what you say, it appears that the original fault was due to the HD being corrupted. What you need to determine is whether the fault was relatively minor eg corruption of the MBR which as Fruit Bat says can be easily rebuilt, or serious eg the first sign of the HD packing up. (By the way, if you look at the file structure for that disk on the Disk Management page - I assume you are running Windows XP2 - it may well show it to be RAW rather than FAT32 or NTFS; this is a common indication that the MBR or some other essential part of the HD has been corrupted.)

Bear in mind that, if the latter is the case, each time you use the HD or write to it, you increase the chance that you will cause further corruption. So the priority is to copy as much of the essential data on the HD as you can to a safe place using the data rescue program. Then determine the condition of the HD with a disk scanning program (download free from the HD manufacturer website) and a SMART utility (possibly from the same source).

If both indicate the HD is ok, then I would wipe it clean, re-format it and load whatever data and applications you require on it, and continue to use it as a slave. I wouldn't take the risk of reinstating it as the master - lightning often does strike the same place twice! If there is any doubt about its stability, bin it.

razzzbo 08:09 28 Feb 2007

Thanks to all for replying, afraid I have not got partition magic so that one out.
I did a mbr from a floppy and it worked, when I did a dir in dos data on HD present. I the tried to run it, and it came up saying files not present repair windows. Tried repair console and that could not find anyting on the HD it just wanted to format the drive. So did a MBR from the repair console, now all access to data is lost.
I did all of this before I saw Unclep's posting.
Thanks for the help and any suggestions of a data recovery prog welcome.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 12:32 28 Feb 2007

Recover Lost partitions
TestDisk: click here

razzzbo 15:08 01 Mar 2007

Thanks Fruit Bat I will try it tonight

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?