Hard drive problem

kev57 11:11 25 Jan 2007

I have 2 matching IDE 120gb Maxtor HDD's one with XP Pro and the other for storage (music, films etc.). Both formatted to 114gb but when i was defragging this morning I noticed the drive with my operating system has gone down to only 99gb.
where has the other 15gb gone, all systems seem to be working ok its just a case of missing gb's on the said HDD. Any ideas?

RobCharles1981 11:15 25 Jan 2007

Have you tried running chkdsk /r ???

johndrew 11:23 25 Jan 2007

If you open your C: drive (the one with the OS) and right click on each folder in turn and select `Properties` the size of that file will be given.

XP takes about 3GB and the number of other programs you have installed will determine the size of that file; thonly other one that may be large is `Documents and Settings` depending what you have there.

You will also `lose` some capacity for the file system and as a result of the way some manufactures calculate capacity of a drive.

kev57 15:21 25 Jan 2007

I ran chkdsk and still have total size 99gb, free space 80.2gb and still cant understand where the other 15gb has gone when it used to be 114gb

n4165si 15:44 25 Jan 2007

go into
control panel
administrative tools
computer management
look at left panel,disc management ,click on it and your disc drive will show where it is.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:13 25 Jan 2007

System restore files.

kev57 22:14 25 Jan 2007

Tried system restore but no luck (tried every date since format)and it wont restore. No luck in disc management either. Any other ideas gents?

skidzy 22:19 25 Jan 2007

Try reducing the allocation of system restore,i think that is what Fruit Bat /\0/\ is trying to say.
Move the slider to around 5% and see if it makes any difference.

Input Overload 22:41 25 Jan 2007

Run click here Sequoiaview, it's freeware & will quickly where your space has gone.

kev57 01:20 26 Jan 2007

Input Overload, if I could understand Sequoiaview I'd think i was a genious, Skidzy please excuse my ignorance but how do you reduce the system restore?, all I get is dates to go back to, methinks I might try formatting again and see what that does. anyway many thanks for your kind help but maybe its a case for inspector Morse.

skidzy 06:55 26 Jan 2007

Reducing system restore's disk space;

Right click my computer/Properties/system restore.There will be a slider showing you the amount of disk space system restore has been allocated.Just place your cursor on the slider and drag to around 5% and ok.Then check your hdd space again.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?