Hard Drive problem

Newuser1445 14:53 22 Feb 2004

My hard drive is partitioned into C,D & E.

Running Scan disk causes the C drive to freeze after 5 mins although the D & E drives are OK and I have just scanned for errors and defragged them.

Scan disk will not work in order to rectify errors on C drive let alone allow it to be defragged. Can anyone help please?

Paranoid Android 14:59 22 Feb 2004

Sounds like there may be some damage.

Which OS are you using ?

Marvin

Diodorus Siculus 15:01 22 Feb 2004

Try in safe mode - reboot the PC and press F8 until you get the menu; choose safe mode and try there.

Newuser1445 15:13 22 Feb 2004

Win 98 SE is the OS

Diodorus Siculus 15:15 22 Feb 2004

You can also boot with a floppy, and run scandisk from it. Get a floppy from click here

BillEmm 15:16 22 Feb 2004

The problem with Defrag and Scandisk is they both run off the C drive which is System disk on which the programs and the Operating System reside. This can cause conflicts and contention problems which interfere with the operation of these programs.

You don't give much information regarding the errors or problem symptoms so I offer the following thoughts:

To minimise the possibility of interference from other programs make sure there are no other programs running or, better still, run in Safe mode.

Another possibility is to run Scandisk in native DOS mode. How to do this depends on the OS you are using.

Bill

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?