Hard Drive problem

Charence 21:44 15 Nov 2003

Hi,

I have been trying to fix my computer and now the Hard drive smells burnt and when BIOS starts it is no longer recognised as MAXTOR 9102U2, it is now known as MAXTOR MILLENIUM!!!

Does anybody know what is wrong with the hard drive?

If there are any options available to save it I would like to know because I have some quite important work saved on it.

Thank you,

Charence

SEASHANTY 21:52 15 Nov 2003

From the meagre info you have given Charence nobody will have a clue. Evidently your Maxtor HDD is still working or you wouldn't be still using it.

Charence 22:13 15 Nov 2003

Still using it? I am not using it!! The computer I am using at the moment is not the one which is not working.

Well the motherboard is new which is why there are some problems. The CMOS fails to recognise the hard drive everytime, occasionally it works. However, whilst I was fixing, the Hard Disk was not placed properly and it came into contact with part of the computer case and it seems to have burnt a part of the board on the hard disk.

Could the board attached the hard disk be replaced? Or should the hard disk still be functional? The hard disk now also makes unusual clicking noises.

Thank you,

Charence

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Android Oreo News: Release Date & New Features

Best Photo Editing Apps for iPad

iMac 21.5-inch (2017) review

Comparatif : quelle est la meilleure batterie externe 2017 ?