hard drive password,how to get rid??

bigboab y 11:46 10 Apr 2007

Bought a 20gig laptop hard drive on Ebay..on boot up it says a Dell hard drive password has been set..wont go any further. Its a hitachi drive btw ... is there a way to get rid of or find out the password (either from dell or Hitachi) ..there is no way I can contact the previous owner.

Taff™ 11:52 10 Apr 2007

Are you trying to boot this drive in an existing laptop?

bigboab y 11:58 10 Apr 2007

Yes I am the existing laptop works fine with another hard drive

Taff™ 11:59 10 Apr 2007

Try Ultimate Boot CD click here and the ATA Password Tool. More information on this tool is here click here

Taff™ 12:03 10 Apr 2007

What do you intend to use the drive for?

bigboab y 12:22 10 Apr 2007

I want to use it to upgrade an existing 6gig hard drive.The laptop I want to put it in has no password problems.

Taff™ 12:48 10 Apr 2007

Let us know how you get on. I would be tempted to put it in a caddy and format it from there, then again using the caddy clone the 6 Gig drive and copy it back to the 20 Gig drive. However, unless you already have a caddy this could add to the cost - it would have been cheaper to buy a new HDD. Good Luck!

bigboab y 12:55 10 Apr 2007

Ive tried it using a usb to ide lead and it is "seen" in device manager,but does not appear as "drive e"..if it did i would try and format it. Is there a way to format from "run" on the start menu??

Taff™ 20:52 10 Apr 2007

Go to Control Panel>Administrative Tools>Computer Management and then in the Left Hand Pane select Disk Management (Under Storage) - If you can see the 20Gb drive there try and format it by right clicking it in the right hand pane.

bigboab y 00:42 11 Apr 2007

Doesnt show there.. oh well its now square window time.. I googled this till I was blue in the face..the consensus seems to be.. "BUY A NEW ONE " ..thanks all

phono 00:58 11 Apr 2007

Don't give up just yet, I may have missed it somewhere but what OS are you using? Win 98, ME or XP? What "vintage" is the laptop you are trying to put it in?

You may still be able to use this drive, please post back.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?