Hard Drive Partition

coolteentom 23:00 04 Feb 2007

Hi,

Recently I got a Windows Vista disk for a PC that was running XP. However, I didn't have the XP recovery console to reformat the drive, so I booted from a program called 'Active@ KillDisk', which completely wiped everything on the hard drive.

However, now when I boot from the Vista disk, it claims that there is no drive to install Vista onto. I am not at all familiar with partitions etc, and was wondering if anyone knows what the problem is likely to be... do I need to create a new partition, and if so, how?

Regards,
Tom

woodchip 23:03 04 Feb 2007

You can use the Six Floppy XP discs from click here

coolteentom 23:12 04 Feb 2007

Woodchip, thanks for the reply,

I have just been looking further into it, and have found that at the minute under partitions, all I have is [unallocated], which possibly means that I need to create a 'primary partition'?

Would these Six Floppy XP disks fix this partition problem do you think?

coolteentom 00:18 05 Feb 2007

I am having problems with my floppy drive, so am just thinking of getting Partition Magic. ..

Does anyone know if I can use the Partition Magic CD to boot up on, so that I can create a primary partition using that?

Cheers,
Tom

brundle 00:26 05 Feb 2007

If yours is a bootable Vista disc it should be able to create a partition itself (unless they've taken a big step backwards from the XP install CD) - if it's an Upgrade CD, you will need XP installed anyway.

brundle 00:27 05 Feb 2007

You may need to locate drivers if you are running SATA drives, which may help.

GaT7 00:30 05 Feb 2007

Don't waste your money on Partition Magic when there are free alternatives: GParted LiveCD click here, & one which'll do it within Windows - Paragon Partition Manager 2005 click here (not sure about the latter's compatibilty with Vista though). I've used both with no problems. G

woodchip 09:00 05 Feb 2007

You can also use Acronis Disc Director Suit 10. I use it

coolteentom 20:27 05 Feb 2007

Hi,

I have partitioned the drive, but doesn't seem to be helping, as when I get to Vista setup, it can't find an existing hard drive to to set up Vista.

Any Ideas?

woodchip 20:31 05 Feb 2007

You may be able to download Disc tools from HD manufacturers site to test the drive

GaT7 17:53 06 Feb 2007

Will a basic boot disk click here, or the GParted LiveCD (I suggested earlier) let you partition & format the drive?

To your question 'do I need to create a new partition, and if so, how?' the answer is yes, & you'll need to format it as well - see "Will I be able to use my HDD after Active@ KillDisk erase operation?" from click here. G

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Ryzen news - release date, UK price, features and specifications

The 12 best apps for drawing and painting on your iPad

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment faire des captures d’écran sous Windows 10 ?