Hard drive- optical drive configuration problem

Installer 12:08 24 Jan 2004

I have two identical hard drives connected as master and slave on primary ide channel, and two optical drives on secondary ide. The problem is that the slave hard drive will only run in pio mode, and not udma mode 5 (as the primary does). The upshot of this is that any file transfer to or from my slave drive results in 100% cpu usage, and it's very annoying.
As I have an uptodate motherboard do you think that putting a hdd on each ide channel with optical as slave would speed things up?

Installer 13:07 24 Jan 2004

^

LastChip 13:08 24 Jan 2004

If it's W2K, you need at least service pack 2 to enable UDMA on a slave drive. Service pack 4 is now available.

Installer 16:16 24 Jan 2004

Running xp home sp1 with all updates

LastChip 17:16 24 Jan 2004

I think you may have to re-detect the drive. In order to do this,it has to be physically changed on the data cable(s).

If it were me, I would temporarily disconnect your optical drives. Put the suspect drive on it's own data cable as Master and boot the machine. Now check and see if you still have a problem. The drive will now have been re-detected and on shut down, can be placed back to it's original postion, to be re-detected again. Simply switching the computer on and off will not produce the desired results.

The Hibernation feature in XP, has resulted in some reports of strange behavior, and if your using that, personally, I would disable it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?