Hard drive not showing in "My computer"

Whitster 15:24 02 Feb 2010

Hi, Just brought a HDD Reader from maplins, when i pluged it into my USB port i got the new hardware ready to use notification, also you can hear the hard drive spin, but when i go to My computer the hard drive is not shown, any ideas.

Jollyjohn 15:30 02 Feb 2010

Check the jumper on the HDD is set to MASTER.

Is the drive formatted? Have a look in Control Panel Admin tools computer management storage and see if the drive is listed there.

Whitster 15:42 02 Feb 2010

Thanks John, im not with the HDD at the momment but i will check the jumper, it should be set to master as it has just come out of a working tower. Will also look in computer management storage when i get home. will report back later. Cheers

Whitster 17:39 02 Feb 2010

Hi, As above it is not even showing in the computer management storage. ??

tonyq 17:44 02 Feb 2010

I had the same problem,Try different/all USB ports.

Whitster 18:02 02 Feb 2010

Just tried all USB ports still no luck. I even get the little icon to click to safely remove storage device

Whitster 20:20 02 Feb 2010

sunnystaines 20:40 02 Feb 2010

take it back may be faulty

canarieslover 20:44 02 Feb 2010

Check first that jumpers are not set to cable select as it would still have worked in desktop with that setting. Then if you know that the hard drive is good then you need to confirm that the caddy is also good. Do you have another hard drive or can you borrow one to try in it? Alternatively set hard drive jumper to slave and install it as second drive in desktop and see if it is recognised.

Whitster 12:04 03 Feb 2010

As this drive is a SATA, there are no jumpers to set is that right?

Whitster 16:04 03 Feb 2010

Any help would be appreicated.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

Les meilleures applications pour enfants 2017