freddydream 13:20 30 Aug 2003

I NEED HELP PLEASE
I,V JUST PUT MY EPOX MOTHERBOARD INTO A NEW
TOWER AND I CANNOT SEE MY SECOND HARD DRIVE NAMED
ROYS 2ND HARDDRIVE ,BUT THE PARTITION I MADE IN IT
ROYS THIRD E .I CAN ACCESS OK ,THIS HAS MY BACKUPS
IN IT,(THIS IS IN WINDOWS)THE BIOS CAN,T FIND MY
SECOND HARD DRIVE,WILL FORMATTING CURE THE PROBLEM
ALSO I SWOPPED THE LEADS OVER ON THE IDE CONNECTORS AND IT,S THE SAME PROBLEM SO IT,S NOT
THE IDE PROBLEM
WOULD APPRECIAT ANY IDEAS
THANKS
ROY MUSSON

The Sack 14:41 30 Aug 2003

I think your caplock key is faulty.

harry_b 14:57 30 Aug 2003

do you mean you have two physical hard drives, one which has two partitions?, you can access the 2nd partition on the 2nd hard drive but not the 1st partition on the 2nd hard drive?

Diemmess 15:05 30 Aug 2003

Three problems:

Block capitals makes this message almost unreadable but you can change that.

Not sure how many physical hard drives you have.
If as I suspect you have two, then you seem to be finding both HDisks in the BIOS where they will show by named manufacturer and type, not by any name you give them when formatting.

Finally if you have partitioned any Hard Disk this will make more (logical drives) and if these are not showing up in Windows, then you have a software problem to deal with partitioning or formatting.

SEASHANTY 15:23 30 Aug 2003

Also cannot understand the exact problem but for some info on hard drives and partitioning try this site click here and hopefully it will perhaps help with your problem.

freddydream 14:15 02 Sep 2003

following wth this problem
urrrrhummm i formatted my wrong drive when i was
trying to solve the problem i,v formatted my
slave drive 20gig which i had my games on and
backups. now my operating system wind 98se is
on my slave drive 20gig. which is working fine,but
my 11gig drive which originely had my windows on
can,t recognize in bios i,v tryed to get it to see
it but no way will it do so ,ive tryed in dos with start up disk ,still no joy.any help
will be welcomed.

Diemmess 15:14 02 Sep 2003

Oh dear it gets worse doesn't it!

Back to basics...........
Forget formatting and all the things you do in Windows...........Until your HDDs both show as present in BIOS you will have trouble with Windows.

So make sure that the HD drive you want to use as your 1st HD is on the 1st IDE cable and socket for the motherboard, and its jumper is set as Master or "cable select"............... Make sure that the BIOS setting is Auto for IDE 0.

With the 2nd HD check that the data cable runs to the 2nd IDE socket and that the Bios setting is Auto for IDE 1 (in the BIOS HDs are numbered from 0 to 1). Make sure that the jumper is either Auto or cable select as before, and hopefully both disks will be seen and accessible.

If you have formatted a disk, you have wiped it of all data on there....... So make sure the HD with your Windows system is on the HD you treat as your 1st, otherwise windows will not boot up.

SEASHANTY 16:08 02 Sep 2003

You must have your jumper settings for each drive correct. That is one set as Master and one set as Slave before they will be recognised as Primary and Secondary HDD in the bios settings. You have not told us what make of drives but the jumper settings
for configuration should be marked on the label. See the illustrations on the Western Digital site click here
also look at the diagrams in the AOL members website for setting a slave drive. Its for an Aptiva but will suffice as an example. Note also that if you have the Windows 98SE op sys on both Master and slave then windows will hide one which will prevent it being seen on My Computer and in Device Manager.click here

freddydream 18:18 06 Sep 2003

well it,s solved ok i took my 11 gig out {actualy it,s a 13 gig) to look at and there is little fualt ,urrr it,s knackerd thers been a short somehow on one of the small chips a small blown hole and lovely sooty mess.
thanks for the help from everyone

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?