hard drive not recognized

homer1309 16:53 31 May 2007

i have a pc with what i think is called a raid array. i have 4 hard drives running and 3 dvd drives. my problem is the the electric in my house ran out and pc obviously stopped suddenly. when it was restarted 1 of the hard drives failed to be seen. this has 90gig of mp3 music on it which i am loathed to just loose. i have used ontrack easy recovery professional v.6.0 but this will not work with a raid array. i have also used partition magic 8 which will see the drive as un partitioned but i dont want to create a new partition and loose all the files. i have tried repairing boot record for said drive but without success. pc is using XP{pro. i need help. anyone got the answer. cheers in advance....

howard64 19:12 31 May 2007

with a raid array I thought that if 1 drive failed the others in the raid array could rebuild the contents of the failed one? If not have you tried setting this drive as a slave in another pc to see if the music is still available.

homer1309 19:37 31 May 2007

there are as i understand it several different ways to set up the raid. mine has been set up not for data back-up but for maximum storage. i think i have been advised that its the boot record thats broken so i need to know if there is any program that will replace this or get the data of the drive without loosing it!

PSF 22:16 31 May 2007

I am no expert on raid but if you have set up a raid 0 for peformance and one drive fails you loose all the information. The data is split accross all of the drives for fast read and writes. As it is split between the drives it becomes unusable.
A raid expert might correct me but I think you have lost the information/data on your drives.

click here

click here for some links they might help but at a price.

homer1309 12:03 01 Jun 2007

cheers the links maybe useful soon. im no expert either and don't know what raid 0 means. all i know is that the other drive can be seen and used as normal. thanks for replying though

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Adobe shows still-in-development tools, including automatically colourising black-and-white photos

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?