Hard drive not recognised in my computer

bobfan 18:46 06 Aug 2006

Hi
Just got a new barebones machine after my old machine died (previous post - PC won't boot). I put my old HD in and it started to boot and I got the message saying windows did not shut down properly last time did I want to start normally, safe mode or last known config.
I chose normal and got the blue screen with the message IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR EQUAL
Save mode also gave me a blue screen saying there was an error and windows could not be started.
I had been warned previous that windows may have a problem with the new mobo and chipset & I may need to reinstall windows. I did this with another HD with the with the old C drive as the slave then I could copy over what I needed.
During the installation I was asked what drive I wanted to install windows on and give the size and free space for both drives.
Everything has worked fine except in my computer the old C drive doesn’t show. It’s listed in the device manager and listed as working properly. I’ve been into computer management – disk management. The drive is also listed there but it has no drive letter and won’t let you assign one. Again it lists capacity and free space
Any ideas anyone as there is some things I would like to retrieve off this drive

Diemmess 19:18 06 Aug 2006

Try setting the jumper on the old drive either to Slave or to CLS, but NOT Master.

bobfan 19:33 06 Aug 2006

Hi Diemmess
old drive already set to slave.

Diemmess 19:40 06 Aug 2006

Sorry if I'm tedious, but have you tried CSL or Cable Select for the old drive.

I have no idea why, but it worked this way for me once when I was stuck.

It must be a software problem, but so are most difficulties!

bobfan 20:40 06 Aug 2006

Have tried this & now it doesn't show at all.

bobfan 06:49 07 Aug 2006

Found the answer
Here

I had Norton goback and followed the steps and now drive is recognised.
Thanks for your help

bobfan 06:50 07 Aug 2006

Sorry link to solution didn't work!

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone