hard drive not recognised

do-gull 18:32 29 Sep 2005

i have just installed a usb 2 port in my computer and also bought an internal drive and a external case for it. but it is not recognised at all. if i run belarc adviser it states that i have a 250 gig hard drive so i prusume it is working.but HOW DO I USE IT ??????

help please. steve.

Totally-braindead 18:43 29 Sep 2005

Post make and model of your USB 2.0 hard drive. Would suggest that before you use it it may need formatted. But post back with what I asked for.

do-gull 19:02 29 Sep 2005

the hard drive is a tevion 3.5 inc 7200 rpm

Totally-braindead 19:16 29 Sep 2005

I don't suppose theres a website address on the packaging or perhaps a CDROM that can help, I haven't be able to find the Tevion website - yet, still looking.

do-gull 19:30 29 Sep 2005

hiya Totally-braindead

no web-site, but should it not just get recognised as an extra usb devise? how do i formatt and partition it is there a program that i can download that will do it nice and easy.

Totally-braindead 19:41 29 Sep 2005

Thats what I was trying to find the website for. Since you say its an internal hard drive I would suggest connecting it up internally as a normal hard drive, formatting it using your Windows XP CD or your boot floppy if you're using 98 and then trying it again in the caddy. The only thing I can think of is its not being recognised as its not formatted.
Before you do that though one question I presume the drive is not showing in My Computer when you plug it in?

do-gull 20:06 29 Sep 2005

it is not showing in my computer,i am using XP
I have just tried it on my laptop with the same result,so at least i know it is not my oldish pc.

Totally-braindead 20:20 29 Sep 2005

Since its an internal drive you say you have in the external drive caddy then I would install it as a normal drive on its own, make it the master, boot from your XP CD and allow the drive to be formatted, then once its formatted cancel the installing windows, plug your normal drive back in and reassemble your newly formatted drive in the caddy and try it again.

do-gull 20:27 29 Sep 2005

THAT SEEMS LIKE AN AWFUL LONG WINDED WAY TO DO IT.
bUT IF NO-ONE ELSE COMES UP WITH AN ALTERNITIVE I MIGHT JUST HAVE TO DO IT.

THANKS FOR ALL YOUR INPUT.

STEVE.

De Marcus™ 20:34 29 Sep 2005

Is the drive listed in computer management?

Right click on my computer and select: manage.

In the tree console under storage, select: disk management.

do-gull 20:45 29 Sep 2005

DE-MARCUS

IN COMPUTER MANAGEMENT,UNDER DEVICE MANAGER,USB DEVICE IT LISTS MASS STORAGE DEVICE AND IF I GO TO PROPERTIES IT STATES THIS DEVICE IS WORKING PROPERLY.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017