Hard drive not found in bios

Daz35 01:26 07 May 2004

I posted earlier about some strange noises my machine was making, and it's gone from bad to worse. My posting earlier seems to now be a lot more serious. A blue screen appeared and siad something about a kernal error and then switched off. It wouldn't start in safe mode, so I went into the bios and my hard drive seems to have disappeared. I'm fairly backed-up, but not completely, so I need to transfer the drive onto another machine. I don't want to use the restore discs at this stage because of that reason. The PC is covered under warranty, which I will take back tomorrow. Meanwhile any other advice would be most gratefully received. (I've checked the connectors to the drive and mobo and all seems ok)

Dan the Confused 01:39 07 May 2004

Sounds like a hard drive problem. Probably best if you don't use the PC until it's been looked at to prevent any further possible damage. This is only a guess though, so you could wait for any other opinions.

alan227 08:55 07 May 2004

If it is under warranty do not mess with it just take it back and let them deal with it.

Daz35 10:29 07 May 2004

Well, just to add to the above posts, I took the machine back to PC World this morning and basically the guy in repairs really doesn't understand why I've taken it back there - I apparantly should have booked an engineer with PC service call, so my idea of 'I'll buy a PC from a shop,in case I have to take it back'went right out of the window. However, he did test the hard drive for me and came back with the conclusion that it was dead! Cheers then for that technical conclusion. I am fairly well backed up, although not 100%, so it looks like I'm going to lose some data, that's not to mention all the settings, software and downloads I'm going to have to re-install. I'm not happy. The hard drive is a Maxtor 80Gb and I've only had the machine for 5 months. Why does this happen? Surely they are build to last longer than that. Anyway, they haven't got the part in stock, so I'm gonna have to wait 5 days for it to come in and then they will book an engineer. So my question now is about data recovery - any ideas on companies or prices anyone?
Cheers

Daz35 12:03 07 May 2004

Bump

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

See mcbess's iconic style animated for Mercedes-Benz

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires