Hard Drive not booting

BlessedMan 06:08 13 Oct 2007

I had a motherboard problem and which had to be replaced with the ASRock P4i65G motherboard. I tried to intstall XP on my original HD and I had problems.

I bought a new disc the Hithachi and I installed XP on it and it installed ok and it booted without any problems. I then took it out made my old HD the master and the Hithachi the slave but I still could not install XP on the old one so I tried to reverse the order and then I got the message "Reboot and select proper boot device or put media in the boot device and press any key ...". It would only boot from a disc

I took out the old drive and could not get the Hithachi on its own to boot despite trying various jumper settings.

After awhile without success I then borrowed a WD drive and installed XP on it again it booted ok. I then took this out and tried booting the Hithachi still the same booting message, I returned the WD and now it will not boot up and gives the same "Reboot and select proper boot device or put media in the boot device and press any key ..." message.

The drives could be accessed via Windows Recovery and I put in a new cable.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:11 13 Oct 2007

When you swap hard drives you need to go into the BIOS and make sure the BIO can see your new drive, its probably looking for the old one.

BlessedMan 02:07 15 Oct 2007

Yes, I have done this, I even reset the BIOS, whatever drives I put in are shown in BIOS.

click here
could it be to do with enhanced mode or compatible selection mode in bios

BlessedMan 03:41 15 Oct 2007

I changed the setting but it did not make a difference, the setting is for a SATA drive which I haven't got.

jason-1205065 08:46 15 Oct 2007

hay i would considor taking the hard drive back and saying its faulty

BlessedMan 11:02 15 Oct 2007

I think it must be some motherboard issue rather than an HDD issue, I am sure if I tried another drive and not remove it there would be no issue.

I have sent a message to ASRock but I have not recieved a reply yet.

Thanks

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?