Hard drive nightmare

sorceror7374 19:11 25 Oct 2008

A couple months ago started to experience blue screen page faults and whatnot. I guessed it was a hard drive problem and bought a new hard drive. I was able to boot up and copy anything I needed to save to the new drive as well as install XP Pro onto the new drive in it's own partition as I normally do. After disconnecting all old drives and only having the new one running, as I couldn't figure out which drive was the culprit, the problems continued. Over time I kept replacing the old parts with new ones as I couldn't find a solution. I now have a whole new PC built out of these parts right down to the case they're in! I have a serial ATA drive in it that I partitioned and installed windows onto. Everything was working fine. Then I took the new IDE drive that I copied all my files onto from the old PC and added it to the new PC. As soon as I started to move the files from the IDE drive over to the SATA drive the new PC crashed and I get a SMART drive Status BAD message and it won't boot up. It reads the drive alright, but it won't boot up, in fact, I disconnected the IDE drive altogether and tried to boot up with the windows CD and reinstall windows but the reinstallation failed after formatting the partition and gave me m first blue screen on this new PC. What the hell could be going on here or do I have some kind of devil ghost floating about from PC to PC?

lofty29 19:32 25 Oct 2008

I would say that you have a nasty amongst the files you transferred over to the initial IDe hdd, and which you have now transferred over to your sata drive, not an expert but any chance of reformatting the sata drive and starting from scratch, but will mean ditching all your old files.

sorceror7374 21:16 25 Oct 2008

That is precisely the mystery. I keep having these problems despite reformatting and repartitioning each drive that I have. As with the SATA drive in the new machine, it won't even finish the process of installing windows after I've reformatted. And it was only a few MP3's that got copied onto the SATA drive before it crashed. I've had these files for years and there's never been any problem with them yet.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?