hard drive missing space

n4165si 14:13 22 Jan 2007

total on C should be 279.5gb although the spec states 300gb .when in properties it states 148.4gb free and 27.3gb used.leaving a missing 131 gb space.
when attempting an Acronis backup i noticed that the missing space has been put in an Acronis Secure Zone but there is nothing in it .do you think Acronis has somehow partitioned this space?

n4165si 16:29 22 Jan 2007

further to this problem .if i go into disc management ,i have found that the missing space has been partitioned by Acronis although there is nothing on this partition ,if i click on this partition i get an option to delete logical drive ,if i do this ,will the space be returned on this disc?

wilkiewonder 16:49 22 Jan 2007

a new large hd will be basically cut in half by a partition, you will have the full capacity but windows sees it as two hd's, for windows to see it as one full 300 gb hd you have to format it first before installing your os i think, i have a 250gb hd which shows on my computer as two drives, 1 with something like 127gb and the other 104gb, not too sure what will happen if you just delete the partition but i advise you to run it as is so its easier for disk clean ups, activate the second half of the drive and assign a letter to it and treat it as two drives

Gongoozler 16:54 22 Jan 2007

If Acronis has partitioned the drive into two parts, the second partition should show in Windows Explorer or My Computer as the D drive (or another letter). I operate my hard drive as two partitions with all my saved documents, photos etc. on the D partition. That way its easier to back up the saved files, and if Windows gets irreparably corrupted I can easily reformat the C partition and reinstall all me software.

n4165si 13:10 23 Jan 2007

Wilkiewonder and Gongoozler
sorry for taking so long to get back to you.i do understand that in My Computer Disc C should read the full 300gb even if Acronis had partitioned it as no letter had been assigned to it .but it doesn't, the only place that i can correct this ,is in Disc Management ,as already stated, the only option when i click on this Acronis 130gb showing there is no content in it ,is Delete Logical Drive , i am reluctant to do this unless i am sure it will do no further harm on this Drive.

Gongoozler 15:32 23 Jan 2007

Hi n4165si. "My Computer" won't show the C drive as 300G, it will show C and D (or another letter), the two of which should add up to a number a bit less than 300G. In Disk Management you may need to format or initialise the partition, or allocate a drive letter to it. I can't say for certain because it's a long time since I did this, and the aging brain is getting a bit addled.

n4165si 13:10 24 Jan 2007

Gongoozler
having played around with this ,i uninstalled the freebie version of Acronis that had allocated itself approx 130gb of the C hard disc and now have this space again as a partition ,i will now have to bring it back so that the hard drive recognizes it as a full disc approx 300gb less the used space on it roughly 30gb.

rabadubdub 13:29 24 Jan 2007

I had a similar puzzle after using QDI's Recovery Easy and found in my case it wasn't recognised as I had created a half-Hdd partition but not formatted the second one which I hadn't used yet.
My data I kept on a second physical drive.

n4165si 13:59 24 Jan 2007

rabadubdub
I guess looking at this problem what i need to do is reallocate the 130gb of Unallocated space into the the windows C Partition ,but how ,i'm not to well up on this sort of thing .

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?