Hard Drive Memory Low!! But what about C Drive??

Damo1977 10:40 09 Jun 2007

Hi guys,
Another problem I have recently encountered which has somewhat baffled me, I have a Sony Vaio FS115B Laptop and have been recently been getting a 'Hard Drive Space Low' message and warning me that unless I clear some space it will affect my pc's performance.
I have cleared memory a few times and pretty soon the message comes back. I really don't have much saved on the hard drive, mainly just photos and some music.
When I went onto 'My Computer' I noticed there was a C Drive as well as D drive.
When I checked the properties on these is showed C Drive to have 13.3GB used space and 678MB free space. But D drive had 686MB used space and 34.2GB free space.

Why isnt all the available space on the D drive being used?

And how can I either set my pc to start using the D drive or move some stuff from C to D drive??

Please help.
Damian

Jackcoms 11:02 09 Jun 2007

"Why isnt all the available space on the D drive being used?"

Because, presumably, you've chosen not to use it and loaded any new software onto C.

You may wish to consider un-installing some programs from C and re-installing them on D.

I would advise, however, to leave MS Office where it is (if you have it) but you may have other programs you can re-install onto D.

You also say that you "have cleared memory a few times".

What do you mean by this?

Memory and available hard disk space are two completely different concepts.

Snec 11:24 09 Jun 2007

The best thing to do, it seems, is to increase the size of C and decrease the size of D.

wee eddie 11:57 09 Jun 2007

Just move any files you have to the "D" Drive.

When you Save something, make sure that it goes on the "D" Drive.

At the present it is unlikely that you will be able to Defrag your C Drive. So shift them Folders.

Personally I'd leave the Programs on C and keep any Files that you have been working on D.

Damo1977 12:10 09 Jun 2007

Thanks for the info guys but a lot of what you are telling me is like a foreign language.
When you say things such as "move files you have to D drive" and "increase the size of C and decrease the size of D", how do I do these things?
You really are talking to someone who doesnt have a clue about this sort of thing.
If some could give a basic instruction on how to do any of these things it'd be really appreciated.
Thanks for your time.
Damian

Jackcoms 12:48 09 Jun 2007

OK, we've given you several options.

Decide which one you want to go with then let us know and we'll give you a step-by-step.

woodchip 20:29 09 Jun 2007

Best thing to do is remove programs from C:\Drive that you loaded, Reload them In Custom Mode and put them on D:\ If you start changing the Partition Sizes your Restore Disc will not work

Damo1977 09:39 10 Jun 2007

I think the best option is to move some programs from C to D.
Also I'd like to save future stuff to D as default.
Can someone please attempt to talk me through how to do this.
Thanks.
Damian

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 09:55 10 Jun 2007

I think the best option is to move some programs from C to D.

Don't just drag and drop

Files can be moved around randomly. If one partition gets full, you can move some of your data fields to another partition that still has some room. If you tried that with installed programs, you are looking for disaster. So just have to reinstall program right? Well, all though you can't drag and dropped, you can move them. Here is how.

The process

For example C:/AppDir to D:/AppDir after installing a new D: drive in your system.

The first step is to move all the DATA files over. DON'T move the application files; Registry subkeys will handle that.
Follow the series of steps shown here for moving the location of an application from one physical location to another:

1. Open the Windows XP Registry Editor from the command line by typing regedit from the Run command line, and BACK IT UP by File - Export.
2. Select Find from the Edit menu.
3. Type C:\AppDir, and press Enter. The Registry Editor searches for the Registry entry that contains C:\AppDir, and selects the first one it finds.
4. Press Enter to edit the value's data.
5. Type in the new folder name, which will be D\AppDir, as defined before, and press Enter.
6. Now press F3 to continue the search. You need to change every location in which C:\AppDir is shown to reflect D:\AppDir. After that task is completed, the application will be changed to this location.
7. You can go back to the Registry and check to make sure the change has been accepted.

Damo1977 20:12 27 Jul 2007

I've tried doing what fruitbat suggested but once I got to srage 3 and once i'd typed C:\AppDir it started searching but then just said 'search complete' and produced no results or didnt find anything.

I'm still contually getting the 'Low Disk Space' message and its really frustrating me. I've only got 500MB of space left in the C: drive but i've got over 30GB of space on my D: drive??

Please can someone help and please in as simple terms as possible, I don't really understand most computer terminology.

Thanks guys.

Damo

wee eddie 20:27 27 Jul 2007

onto the D Drive.

Cut & Paste ~ one at a time to start with.

Or If you use "Send to" or "Copy" you will end up with a copy on both drives. You could do that and when you've checked that it's copied correctly, delete the copy on the C Drive.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?