Hard drive making strange noises

redbarron 09:24 04 Nov 2008

My hard drive has started making a strange noise about every 15 seconds. It only lasts for a second or two and sounds like a rapid clicking noise, as if it's trying to load something.

Any ideas please. Thank you

rawprawn 09:26 04 Nov 2008

Back it up immediately, if it goes belly up and to be honest it doesn't sound too healthy. You will lose everything.

Technotiger 09:26 04 Nov 2008

If you do not have your data backed-up, do it now, your hard drive is about to fail!

redbarron 09:33 04 Nov 2008

Thanks guys. I keep everything backed up. But will double check everything is up to date.

Never rains when it pours does it.

Technotiger 09:34 04 Nov 2008

Glad to hear you have it all backed up, so if your drive does go belly up, at least it is only a short inconvenience, not a catastrophe!

johndrew 09:45 04 Nov 2008

Having backed everything up, perhaps you should now order a new drive and clone it from that you have. That way you can use the `suspect` item either as a second drive or until it fails completely with even less inconvenience.

redbarron 09:50 04 Nov 2008

Hope it doesn't come to that. Apart from the expense of forking out for a new hard drive it is allot of hassle re-loading everything.

Funnily enough, since I just backed up some more data the noise has stopped. Could this be the lull before the storm! :)

Technotiger 10:05 04 Nov 2008

If you made your backup with Acronis you would not have to re-load anything. Acronis makes a complete backup of your entire hard drive, and I mean absolutely everything is backed up for easy restore.

Technotiger 10:06 04 Nov 2008

With Acronis, all you need is an external

Technotiger 10:07 04 Nov 2008

I was going to say, an external hard drive for the backup location.

redbarron 10:12 04 Nov 2008

I spoke too soon about the noise stopping. It's back.
Well everything is backed up to date so will just have to see what happens.

Don't have an external hard drive.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Microsoft Surface Book 2 hands-on review – bigger and 5x faster

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?