Hard-drive lost some partitions

Baxi 23:31 19 Aug 2003

I am running W98. I had the HDD partioned into 5-drives (C, D, E, F, G). My CD-Rom was drive H, and my CD-burner was drive I. Windows Explorer listed all these with their respective directory structures and files. Recently I think a fault developed and now only C-drive is accessible on the HDD, and the CD-rom has become drive D and CD-burner drive E. I haven't a recent backup of the lost files (I know you always learn the hard way!). I have tried using Norton Utilities to locate the lost drive partitions and files but can't find them. It is a 40G HDD but the C-drive now only lists as 20G.
Any experts out there who could give me some ideas??
Thanks.

Bodi 08:47 20 Aug 2003

but you don't appear to state what O/S you are using. If it is Windows 98/SE you can use your boot disk/"start up disk" and use the Fdisk facility.

Type fdisk at the A> prompt, and then in fdisk use option 4, which will enable you to view the partitions on your drive. Presumably you only have the one hard drive installed?

Could be that your hard drive is on it's way out and most certainly if you can back up the files you can gain access to, it would be wise to do so.

Bodi

seedie 08:55 20 Aug 2003

Partition Magic from Powerquest is a, musthave, if your going to do partitions.

Brian-336451 09:25 20 Aug 2003

You can even buy it for about £25 plus postage from here click here

Good luck

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

30 UK artists and their beautiful posters for WCRS' Pride in London campaign

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?