Hard Drive Lock Up / Switch Off

Jester2K 22:01 23 Feb 2004

Tiny PC - 3-4 Year Old

Win98SE

Fujitsu HDD !!

My uncle had a problem with the HDD just "switching off". HDD LED goes out, no sound, mouse moves but nothing happens when it clicks.

Discovered that removing the side of the case helped and installing a HDD Cooler fan stopped it.

Now the problem is back!

The PC goes along fine but during a defrag / surface scan-disk it'll randomly stop doing anything and then needs a reboot to get going again.

The lock ups usually happen towards the end of the scan-disk / defrag.

Out of 3 scan-disk surface tests 1 completed (DOS no errors) and the 2 Windows ones failed at about 56 and 78 %.

Does this sound like a HDD on its last legs? Or is there some further tests i can do?

SMART is enabled and reports OK.

woodchip 22:16 23 Feb 2004

Fujitsu are problem drives, they also Bought some problem drives and re-badged them from IBM deck star

dazzling (work) 22:18 23 Feb 2004

if its any help have pc at work running me that does this with scandisk and defrag all the time for last 3 years its a tiny one too.have resorted to 3rd party defrag and scandisk with no problems and hard drive still ok.but cannot find an answer to the problem even locks up in safe mode.darren

Jester2K 07:25 24 Feb 2004

hmm not tried scanning in safe mode.

It locked up using Diskeeper Lite too... I had terminated all processes before running but still locks. Only worked once in DOS mode....

Just don't want to replace the drive to find its something else...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone