Hard Drive Filling Up With Windows Updates

Joe G 00:26 14 Aug 2014

When I bought this PC (Win7 64 bit 8Gb RAM) I was went for a Solid State Drive but made the stupid mistake of only buying a 60Gb one forgetting how hungry Windows is - I had experienced this on my old Vista laptop where I had similar problems of having to clean things out all the time.

I'm at the point where I only have between 300Mb and 1 Gb left depending on what mood it is in and it took me ages to get all the latest Windows Updates loaded tonight. There are no programmes or data on the C drive except the OS and Google chrome but I have noticed that some of the programmes I have installed on the 1Tb HD store programme data or tools on the C drive anyway which is frustrating.

I use CCleaner, WiseCare365 & Windows System Cleanup (including the system file clean up routine) for cleaning. I delete all but one restore point and also clear out what Spotify leaves behind when I use it. I have two profiles on the PC but I want to retain these.

Any idea what else I could do to save some space - are some update files superseded when Windows updates - do I need the Windows NET Frammework Security Updates - are there any old driver files I may be able to get rid of

Any ideas welcome as I am at the limit of my knowledge

Cheers!

Jollyjohn 08:56 14 Aug 2014

In windows explorer switch view to show hidden and system files. Look in the Windows folder and there will be a lot of files starting $ntwindows...etc - in blue text, not the usual black. All these can safely be deleted. They are leftovers from updates.

Also on C drive look for any folders that are long strings of numbers - again these can be deleted as they are leftovers from updates.

Just checked my W7 home premium installation 27GBon a 60GB partition. I use this as a media centre so have dual tuners installed and MS office. All data and recorded tv is on separate partitions. So not sure what is filling your hard drive.

BRYNIT 10:44 14 Aug 2014

You could use Windows Disk cleanup and select clean up system files, this will remove old windows updates etc.

As SSD drive are coming down in price for £50-£70 you could upgrade to a 120gb drive.

rdave13 15:04 14 Aug 2014

If you don't use hibernation then disabling that will get you back a few GB's. All programs, Accessories, right click CMD and run as admin. Type or copy and paste powercfg -h off and press enter. I've also set virtual memory to 512MB initial size and 1024MB Max. Systen, advanced system settings, advanced tab, performance settings tab and advanced tab again. Then you get to virtual memory. That saved me another GB and running with 8 gig ram.

Joe G 22:50 14 Aug 2014

Thanks all - will try these and see how I get on and let you know - much appreciated

Joe G 17:03 16 Aug 2014

Just had time to get back to this - turned on view system & hidden files - couldn't find any files displayed in blue - is there a specific folder or folders in Windows where these would be? Also where am I likely to find the files with longs strings of numbers and will all of these be safe to delete?

I'd already cleaned up the system files in Windows Cleanup

Don't use hibernation but a bit nervous about turning this off - but I did alter the virtual memory as suggested and I've now got nearly 5Gb which makes me feel much happier so thanks for that - will it have any impact on performance - I assume not as I have plenty of RAM

Cheers and thanks again

rdave13 17:10 16 Aug 2014

That's my setting with 8Gig ram. You'll get even more back if you disable hibernation. You can always enable it again if required by typing or copying powercfg -h on in CMD .

Joe G 17:51 16 Aug 2014

Ah thanks I may try it then - never used it on any of my computers so I suppose I won't miss it!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

30 UK artists have created vibrant posters celebrating Pride London

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?