Is this Hard drive failure??

Hetti 08:16 24 Sep 2014
Answered

Can anyone confirm my worst fears?

Turned of PC and all seemed OK at this time (although I thought PC seemed a little bit louder then normal) when I tried to boot up after a few hours I had a black screen with white text saying. RAM frequency for DDR3 OK unganged mode Initializing USB done 192 OK USB Devices keyboard, mouse Auto detecting SATA ATAPI CDROM Auot Detecting SATA Hard disk Sata 6: Atapi i Has 124 D8lOB Ultra DMA Mode 5 SMART SATA: ST300034ons Goo5 Ultra DMA Mode 6 mode smart Cabable and status BAD Autodectect USB mass storage devices found and configured 3 master Hard disk smart and status BAD Back up and replace press F1 to resume.

PC is two years old and out of guarantee

Batch 08:29 24 Sep 2014
  Hetti 10:14 24 Sep 2014

Batch Thanks I thought as much,

Bad day at Black Rock... lol

Batch 08:25 25 Sep 2014

"Bad day at Black Rock" - definitely one of my favourite movies!

Hetti 10:53 25 Sep 2014

Thanks Batch,

I now have the failed drive out of the PC it is a Seagate Barracuda ES."1 terabyte" Im going replace it and keep the PC in question as a spare, I asked at my local PC repair shop he wants £75 to supply and fit 500GB hard drive, 40 for the drive the rest for fitting and reformatting is this reasonable? I have fitted a hard drive before and all went well but I think that was lucky as Im not very techie lol. Is there any recommendations for buying the drive and will any drive fit (desktop)

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:24 25 Sep 2014

I now have the failed drive out of the PC it is a Seagate Barracuda ES."1 terabyte"

If you have the old one out fitting a new one is easy - slide it in the slot, connect power and data cables, secure drive with the mounting screws.

Formatting is also easy.

I assume this was the only drive in the machine? do you have a recovery disk(s) or a windows dvd?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:27 25 Sep 2014

click here 1TB WD drive £40

spuds 11:33 25 Sep 2014

Hard-drive warranties seem to be a mix of one to three years depending on the retailer supplies, or whether they use the extended warranty schemes.

I would say that £75.00 is a very fair price for replacing the hard-drive and re-formatting. What I would suggest is to ask the price of a larger hard-drive, it should not be all that much more for perhaps double the 500GB capacity stated (check Ebuyer for prices).

One word of caution, is the re-formatting. Will you supply your own disk or is this procedure being done via the repair person's disk. The reason I ask, it can make a difference now or later.

spuds 11:35 25 Sep 2014

Looks like I was typing when FB was posting :O)

Hetti 15:05 25 Sep 2014

Thanks All Not had time to do anything else yet.

Spuds So it is best to use my own Operating system disk......... is that correct? I will ask about bigger hard drive at the PC repair also.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:00 25 Sep 2014

I take it you have not been using any regular backup procedures using Acronis / Macrium or even windows backup?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?