Hard Drive Failure

Jen.T 15:57 09 Feb 2006

I have two hard drives in my computer (XP, SP2) and last night i was getting an error messagr about not being able to save something to my second harddrive. I looked in my computer, and all the folders in the drive were empty. I rebooted and they came back for a while but i was still getting the same error message. This morning i went to boot up, and it asked about restarting windows normally or for the last known good point (or whatever it is). Now the hard drive has disapeared from My Computer. I wondered if there was any way of getting it back, or at least retreiving some of the files (I'll cry if i lose just over 10g of music ha).

Thanks
Jen x

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:25 09 Feb 2006

Hard disk checks before you condemn it
click here

NAVI 20:38 09 Feb 2006

From bitter personal experience the first thing to check for is a bad connection
after 3 months of trying to cure blue screen crashes following a new motherboard professionally fitted my hard drive was finally NOT RECOGNISED at boot up Vaguely remembering reading about bad connections I reconnected the hard drive ribbon cable at the hard drive and the motherboard and bingo all my problems were fixed

Totally-braindead 20:47 09 Feb 2006

Depending on the make of your drive you could try the tools you can get from the drive manufacturers, Seagate for example do Seatools and Maxtor do Maxblast, they are free and will check the drive for errors/problems.
Regarding losing all the files if you do get it up and running again I strongly suggest you back up the files onto CD or DVD.
NAVI may be correct in saying its a bad connection and its a good place to start.

Jen.T 17:05 10 Feb 2006

I went through the checklist on Seagate and after loads of restarting, not responding, and shouting, everythings back :D
Now im going to back everything up haha.
Thanks a lot! muchly appreciated!
x

Jen.T 17:05 10 Feb 2006

I went through the checklist on Seagate and after loads of restarting, not responding, and shouting, everythings back :D
Now im going to back everything up haha.
Thanks a lot! muchly appreciated!
x

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

HP’s new Surface Pro rival is designed specifically for Adobe-using designers and artists

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?