Hard Drive Failing

Ritchbee 22:02 25 Dec 2007

As my title states my hard drive is on the way out.

I currently have a Asus A7N8X Deluxe mobo model which in the handbook tells me that I do have the option of using SATA. My current one is an ATA.

My questions are

Can I use any SATA one?.

Am I better sticking with a new ATA one

What do I have to do to transfer the data to the new one. What happens to my operataing system during this?.

I have a Maxtor external drive already which I back up to.

Thank you for your help.

Cheers
Brian

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:10 25 Dec 2007

SATA 2 (SATA 300) is not backwards compatible with a SATA (SATA 150) controller. In order to use a SATA 2 drive on a SATA (SATA 1?) controller, the hard drive must have a jumper position to restrict it to using SATA (SATA 150), and a jumper must be installed. Some drives have the jumper position available (e.g. some recent Samsung), some don't (e.g. some recent Maxtor).
This information can also probably be easily found on your hard drive manufacturer's web site.

woodchip 23:28 25 Dec 2007

If you only Have a Restore Disc, you need to buy Acronis True Image and create a Image of each Partition. You will then not need to buy a XP or Vista disc as you can just load the Image and software plus drivers all in one go. In a Short Time.

PS your Restore Disc will not work with a New Drive

DieSse 09:51 26 Dec 2007

If you buy a Seagate or a Maxtor drive, you can download a copy of Seatools or MaxBlast (as appropriate), for free - which is a cut down version of Acronis Trua Image.

This will allow you to clone your existing drive onto the new one.

This cutdown version of Acronis is plenty for what you need right now, and also useful for taking image (compressed) backups of the whole drive in the future.

Ritchbee 22:12 26 Dec 2007

Thanks Guys

Merry Xmas to you all

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?