Hard Drive Enclosure Advice

  JohnR08 11:16 09 Feb 2010

Hi All.
I bought a Freecom 500Gb external hardrive a few years ago, but yesterday there was a loud "pop" from inside and when I opened it, it appears 2 capacitors on the board had exploded.
I'm not well versed on hardware but the drive itself looks OK - it is a 3.5" Samsung 501HJ. I was wondering if I could just buy a new enclosure and slot the hard drive in? My question is: are they universal or do I need to find a specific one suitable for my hard drive connection. Ebay approx £10
The connector on the back of the hard drive is a flat connector with about 12 "spade" pins then a plastic divider and then about 7 "spade" pins. - Sorry - best description I could come up with.
Any ideas please???
Thanks in Advance

  MAJ 11:28 09 Feb 2010

Yes you can use any 3.5" SATA drive enclosure.click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5T review: Hands-on

Illustrator Andrés Lozano on his improv line work, brazen use of colours & hand sketching

iPhone X review

Comment envoyer gratuitement des gros fichiers ?