hard drive enclosure

ronalddonald 07:16 23 May 2010

ive a got a desktop Maxtor 250gb sata drive sittng around idly doing nothing.

I think its 3.5 from an old broken computer and i want to use an enclosure never used one before and i don't know how technical they are.

and any recommendations would be grateful

rawprawn 07:33 23 May 2010

I bought one of these for the smae reason you give. It is very easy to slot in your old HDD, and I have had no problems. Just make sure you connect it exactly as per instructions.
eSATA / USB 2.0 combo enclosure for IDE or SATA 3.5" HDD

rawprawn 07:34 23 May 2010

Sorry link is click here

mgmcc 07:38 23 May 2010

You want something like this click here or if you want an enclosure that supports both SATA and IDE drives click here

BT 07:42 23 May 2010

I've got the same one as rawprawn.
It comes with all the necessary cables and power supply and is very easy to set up, you just need a small screwdriver.
It costs a bit more than some but is suitable for SATA or IDE drives.
You will need to reformat the drive once installed.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 10:23 23 May 2010

"You will need to reformat the drive once installed."

You shouldn't have to reformat - the idea of an external enclosure is to allow you to access an old drive to get at the files on it, especially if it wont boot into windows.

You can reformat if you do not need any files from it and then use it as a backup or for extra storage.

I have 8 old drives ranging from 4G to 160G, sitting on my desk that I can connect up this way.

BT 17:14 23 May 2010

I stand corrected.

I was basing it on my experience where I installed a drive recovered from a PVR which was entirely in the wrong format and was the devil to get re-formatted to be useable under Windows.

rawprawn 17:41 23 May 2010

As Fruit Bat /\0/\ says you don't need to format, however all my old HDD's contain nothing of interest so I formatted them.

ronalddonald 20:55 24 May 2010

any other recommendations anyone

Technotiger 21:08 24 May 2010

Yes, take heed of what has already been said -all perfectly accurately stated. What more do you want?

bgrave 22:18 24 May 2010

For some time now I have been buying Dynamode enclosures from Over clockers. Lately I bought another for a 1 TB HD for system backups. The 1 TB HD took 10 hours to format and later I found that the Dynamode enclosures do not support HD's greates than 450 GB (I think). I now have a Value Series SATA / PATA which supports any HD size. The 450 GB limit was not easy to find and it was not mentioned in the miniscule manual.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

5 best 3D model websites

iPhone 8 vs iPhone X

WhatsApp : comment lire vos messages sans que l’expéditeur le sache