Hard Drive - does it have an Internal Fan ?

freaky 20:19 25 Oct 2006

I have been experiencing problems with a noisy fan on my PC, but could not identify which one it was.

Today I had to fit a replacement HD.....since then the noise has stopped, hence my question.

josie mayhem 20:24 25 Oct 2006

NO

But they do have data disks, and these can be noisey when they are about to die...

anskyber 20:27 25 Oct 2006

Hi freaky

freaky 20:59 25 Oct 2006

The drive I replaced was showing signs of problems...on bootup Windows was recommending it be checked.

A few times Windows had to convert lost chains to files. There was also an occasional metallic click on booting.

So probably the HD like me, was also showing signs of wear !

freaky 21:01 25 Oct 2006

Hi to you as well.

woodchip 21:03 25 Oct 2006

Sound to me like your Old Hard Drive was Knackered. That’s what was making the noise not a fan

freaky 21:45 25 Oct 2006

In the light of your reply I will rephrase my post of Wed [email protected]:59 to: -

"The drive was knackered like me".

I did try to open the old HD prior to making this post..it has 6-small countersunk screws, but could not find anything in my toolbox that would fit.

phono 21:54 25 Oct 2006

Opening the drive would certainly have knackered it, the read write heads are so close to the platters that I believe something as small as a particle of smoke will be more than enough to crash the heads and ruin the drive.

terryf 21:57 25 Oct 2006

Got this email from my brother:
I had a couple of hours to spare yesterday so decided to take your advice and defragle my hard drive.
Your source really should have included a requirement to back up the drive before starting; I'm not stupid so of course I copied the whole of C drive onto a dvd and saved it in the parish church so it could not get corrupted. I then followed the step by step instructions.
It was not difficult to dissemble the drive but I really had to work hard with a razor blade to scrape off all of the brown crud whick had cumulated on each side of the discs, however I succeeded then turned on the loudspeaker to switch all of the 0's and 1's. I left it running for half an hour at full volume.
I managed to re-assemble with no bits left over, but when I switched on the computer I got absolutely nothing except a tinny voice fron the bottom of the unit talking about shoes or boots or something like that, I couldn't hear it very well because as you know, testing computers all those years ago has made me slightly deaf. I then had the idea of getting the dvd back and playing that to retrieve all of my saved data but the dvd drive refused to work as the computer would not switch on.

freaky 09:07 26 Oct 2006

The reason I wanted to open the knackered HD was to see if there was a fan inside, not to try repairing it !

Diemmess 13:22 26 Oct 2006

This link has been used before (yonks ago) but Ithink is worth another airing
click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?