Hard Drive dissapearing.

X™ 15:43 16 Jul 2007

Last night, I installed a new hard drive as a master in my PC. I kept the other as a slave and installed Windows. It asked me which of the two drives to istall it on, but when I got Windows XP loaded up, it wasn't there. I could see it in the boot screen but not XP. I changed the setting to Cable Select and it appeared. Now after getting home, it's gone. Do you have any suggestions before I dismantle the PC again?

X™ 16:30 16 Jul 2007

I see it's not an unknown problem. I might try to change the IDE cable.

Diemmess 16:31 16 Jul 2007

Only guessing....

But since you haven't been sure that XP was actually installed on you new drive, I would suggest.

Open the box
Pull off the power (and data if you like) connections from the old HD.

Set the jumper of the new HD to either CSL or Master.

Switch on and see how far you get!
If XP turns up, well and good, but depending on the error message if it won't boot, you might have to install XP again.

Instead, have you thought of using Acronis to clone everything from the old drive to the new?
It would save a lot of bother setting up the new drive and the tedium of installing all your major applications once more?

X™ 16:44 16 Jul 2007

Sorry I didn't clarify. XP is installed on both hard drives. I want to use the new one I installed, fresh and use XP on that. I want to use XP on the Maxator, the new one.

I will try and fiddle with the cables a bit. I'll try changing it too.

I want to back up data from the Samsung, old HD and use it as a secondary.

Thank you Diemmess!!

X™ 16:50 16 Jul 2007

I think the PSU is 350w. Not much I know. It's hot a DVDRW a DVD player and two hard drives. Along with an Athlon 2100+. It's only a secondary PC, but it's used frequently, and games ect. are used a lot.

Oh yeah, and a Radeon 9600 I think. 128Mb.

Reckon it's the PSU?

X™ 16:50 16 Jul 2007

I think the PSU is 350w. Not much I know. It's hot a DVDRW a DVD player and two hard drives. Along with an Athlon 2100+. It's only a secondary PC, but it's used frequently, and it's used for gaming ect. are used a lot.

Oh yeah, and a Radeon 9600 I think. 128Mb.

Reckon it's the PSU?

Input Overload 16:56 16 Jul 2007

Does it work with the older drive disconnected?

X™ 17:01 16 Jul 2007

It does.

Input Overload 17:12 16 Jul 2007

I would run the pc from the old drive backup data to DVD & format the old drive then connect them both up.

X™ 17:15 16 Jul 2007

Well, I'm going to try things steps at a time. I am replacing the cable which I think may already be faulty, then I'm pulling everything that is taking power out until just the Mobo CPU and hard drives are left. I'll use the onboard Graphics just to test it.

X™ 17:25 16 Jul 2007

After turning on the BIOS and pulling out and plugging in power cables while it was on (I was careful LOL.) I found that only three of my IDE drives can be running at once due to this PSU. I will now remove some PCI devices I don't use, and if I still can't use all four IDE's I will either externally power a hard drive or install a secondary PSU in my PC.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

The secrets of creating gory VFX

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

WhatsApp : comment lire vos messages sans que l’expéditeur le sache