Hard Drive Data Retrieval

loquito 12:30 05 Aug 2005

Hard Drive Data Retrieval

The power supply in my old 7 years PC has gone. I have decided that it is time to build a new one instead of buying a new power supply. I think if I take out the hard drive (IBM Model DJNA-322200, 32 GB) in my old PC, I will be able to retrieval old my data in this hard drive when I put it into one of the slot in my new PC. Will someone tell me that this is quite feasible, and I will be able to retrieve all my data in this old hard drive?

My old PC has Windows XP and Linux O/S, how can I make my new PC to inherit Windows XP? Where is the Windows operative system residing? Do I need to pay a new license to Microsoft?

Many thanks,

L

DieSse 12:44 05 Aug 2005

It's quite feasible to use your old drive in a new PC - just make sure it has IDE hard disk capability and not just SATA (I think they all will - just make sure).

Do you have a Windows CD?

xania 13:18 05 Aug 2005

If you are going to use the old HHD in your new PC, you could be heading for problems. This is because, in all probability, you will have all your software and all your data on the same virtual drive and, when you reformat to reinstall windows, you will lose everything. You will need a Partition Manager to solve this problem. Let me know if you need more information.

However, if you are also going to install a new HDD, all you need to do is also add the old HHD as a slave and you can then copy all the important files across to you new HHD once you have Windows up and running.

Completealias 13:57 05 Aug 2005

If you are hoping to put your old hard drive in and use the xp installation on it then it won't work as windows a, tailors it installation to the hardware it is installed on and b, will throw a hissy fit if you carry out a major hardware change and will require reactivation.

You will therefore need to get a windows disk and do a clean installation.

I would do this purchase a new hard drive when you buy the rest of your stuff and set that up as your main hard drive and install windows on it. Your old hard drive can be put into the system as a slave and you can copy off any files you require from it, then personally I'd format the drive and then use it for extra storage.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?