Hard Drive Crashed & Techies Recover Data - Safe?

NETCHRIS 22:25 07 Aug 2009

Recently my HD crashed and I had to send it in to one of my friends tech crew who he worked with to get all the data back. Now I'm fine with this, however this is the first time this has happened to me and I'm wondering while they try and acquire the lost data will they be looking at my personal files?

Reason being I have personal things like passwords and such that I obviously don't want a tech crew to see, it's only common sense you wouldn't let anybody know your password even your best mate. So yes, will they be looking at my files or does the recovery process do everything for them? I'm not quite sure how confidential data is managed to them.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:42 07 Aug 2009
  lotvic 22:57 07 Aug 2009

That's something that you will never be quite sure about. If it was me I would change my passwords.

And buy Acronis True Image (Home) to make backup image of Harddrive so that you can restore if harddrive got corrupted/infected etc or to a new harddrive if it broke down.
Acronis True Image is highly recommended and used by many on this forum click here
Store your backup image .tib file on an external harddrive. (tib=TrueImageBackup)

If you have either a Seagate or Maxtor Harddrive then you can download DiscWizard from Seagate for free. It is actually Acronis True Image 10 slightly cut down version, it does everything that's needed click here

NETCHRIS 21:53 10 Aug 2009

Thanks for the help.

While I was trying to find this topic on "My Postings" section on PC Advisor, I encountered an old thread I created stating that I had these passwords I told you about on my old PC and on that PC I deleted the word document.

So yeah there's no problem with the HD recovery process as the old PC had the word files. :)

But like I asked before, once files are deleted on a PC, when you move all your existing data from one PC to the other, the deleted files are not moved as well? I asked this on that other old topic and people told me no they are not moved.

Anyway, lesson learned, just memorize your passwords. :P

woodchip 22:51 10 Aug 2009

As above only the Index to the files is removed not the files when you Delete

NETCHRIS 16:49 11 Aug 2009

Woodchip, I was told that when you delete a file (in this case my word document) and recycle it in the trash bin, only the non-deleted files will be moved from one pc to the next when you do one of those XP to Vista computer file moving things.

lotvic 19:36 11 Aug 2009

Old thread from July 2007 click here re files from recycle bin

(was recycle bin emptied? I'm not sure as it doesn't actually say bin was emptied)

NETCHRIS 18:17 12 Aug 2009

Yes the recycle bin was definitely emptied before I moved computers as I was under the impression trash might be moved, and no one wants old junk on their new PC.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017