Hard drive conundrum!

Munchkin 19:59 17 Feb 2009

Have recently installed an additonal internal hard drive in my PC. I had a bit of trouble getting it up and running but thanks to old faithful (PC Advisor Forum) I got it sorted. But my PC is misbehaving on me! At start up I get a message on screen informing me that the BIOS has not detected the drive and when I check out the BIOS menu it says drive ID unknown.....however...when I ignore this and continue with the boot process the drive shows up in Windows and functions as it should. What's going on ?

Terry Brown 21:17 17 Feb 2009

As you are familar with the BIOS, you should be able to enable a search for hard drives from the BIOS.

Is the hard drive in the wrong position?
e.g. connected to the secondary cable with the CD/DVD set as primary.

Are you using IDE drives and the new drive is a SATA drive.

If another SATA drive, is one a SATA drive and the new one a SATA 2 drive
Terry

Munchkin 22:25 17 Feb 2009

My existing hard drive is a Western Digital SATA 300 type as opposed to SATA 150 and the new additonal drive is of the same type. I had a spare SATA outlet on the motherboard which was what I plugged the new drive into. I had to initially go into the setup utility in BIOS to enable the second SATA outlet, or in other words, "switch it on". I then had to make a few settings from within Windows to initialise the drive to make it play ball with XP. The drive works fine, but for some strange reason BIOS doesn't detect it even though it works as it should from the Windows environment. I took a look in the BIOS menu but couldn't find any clues as to what to do next. The PC is a Dell Dimension 5000 Pentium 4 2.8GHZ 3GB RAM

woodchip 23:19 17 Feb 2009

In BIOS Drive needs to be set to AUTO for detection

Munchkin 19:39 19 Feb 2009

When I enter set up utility to check the BIOS information all I can find in relation to drives is a menu which enables or disables the socket supplying the drive. I can't find anything to set for "auto-detection". Can anybody offer any further help?

woodchip 21:42 19 Feb 2009

Have a look through BIOS pages to see if one of the sata Items is Disabled

Munchkin 10:07 21 Feb 2009

Got things sorted in the end by going to the Dell web site and downloading a BIOS update!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

InVision Studio takes on Adobe XD and Sketch

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?