hard drive compression

conrail 20:29 03 Jul 2008

using xp home sp2 with 152Gb HD, 21.6 used so plenty of free space, friend has recomended compressing my drives, I also have a second 114Gb HD + an external drive of 300Gb, what, if any benefits will I get from compressing any/all of my drives?

Joe R 20:38 03 Jul 2008

conrail,

I personally don't see any advantages at this time. Hard drives have never been so cheap, with 500Gb drives at around £50.

There is always a risk of bugs and corruption of files, when compressing and decompressing.

brundle 20:39 03 Jul 2008

Agree with the above. Also if any disaster occurs and you need to recover data & files, you'll find it much harder to do so.

conrail 20:43 03 Jul 2008

thanks Joe R and brundle, don't see the point when I have so much space and son has hinted that he will buy me another external hd for birthday, methinks he wants one himeself and will "borrow" one of mine, appreciate your help

T0SH 20:46 03 Jul 2008

In my opinion there is no upside to using disk compression only a reduction in drive access speed if you are not sure try using the "Disk Cleanup" button from the right click properties on your hard drive icon watching how long it takes to process "Compressed old files" should give you some indication of the effects of drive compression

Cheers HC

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?