hard drive compatability

yaesu 22:49 08 Oct 2009

Hi, I've a Dell 1100 with Dell's own motherboard and want to add another drive as a slave, the original is an ATA drive, would this do the job please? click here or are there preferable alternatives? Thanks, regards, Yaesu ps OS is XP with sp3

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:59 08 Oct 2009

click here is this your machine?

DMA/ATA100 dives are EIDE click here PATA parallel ATA

the link you give is to a SATA serial ATA drive.

GaT7 23:07 08 Oct 2009

Going by the specs click here, I don't think you can use a SATA drive, which you link to.

You need an IDE drive like click here.

Do you have space/mount in the case to add another hard drive?

Alternatively, if you have a spare PCI slot, you could get the drive you linked to & a PCI SATA card click here. You'll need to get the appropriate data click here & power converter click here cables as well.

If there's no space/mount in the case to house an additional drive, you could get an external USB hard drive click here. Shop around for the best prices. G

yaesu 23:10 08 Oct 2009

Hi fruitbat /\0/\ yes although mines 3 years old now and has a smaller monitor, such is progress! Also when I click your second link it takes me back to the same page? Yaesu

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 23:18 08 Oct 2009
  yaesu 23:31 08 Oct 2009

Thanks folks, it looks as if Crossbow7's info about an external drive is possibly the best option, and it's more economical as well! Thanks also Fruitbat, I'll have a read of your link. Meanwhile I'll mark as solved and return eventually for update. Thanks again, Yaesu

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Adobe shows still-in-development tools, including automatically colourising black-and-white photos

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?