Hard Drive Browsing (Caddy Probably)

Epirb406 20:00 05 Oct 2010

Hi all,

I have in the past had a pretty severe PC fiddling habit!

I have therefore piles of kit that are last generation at the best, all serviceable but not in best nick or any semblance of order.

I am minded just to have a great big sell up, stick it all in once box and sell it all for about a 100th of what it all cost in it's day.

I have relocated, have no space and no time for toys so it makes some sense.

However I will hold on to Hard drives from the ages as I do not want and old data floating around in strangers hands.

So, to the question, any recommendations for a desk top caddy I can drop an old ide drive into and salvage anything I want before taking a sledge hammer to the drive?

Looking for quality and reliability, have had Chinese versions that haven't lasted the course and will expect a USB interface at the PC end!

Thanks for help in advance,

Brgds, Epirb.

northumbria61 20:13 05 Oct 2010

Take your pick from here click here All should be suitable for your needs.

Epirb406 20:16 05 Oct 2010

Thanks for those, was looking for experience as wanted as easer swap as possible and reliability, have you used any of the Ebuyer offerings?

Thanks again,

Epirb

northumbria61 10:13 06 Oct 2010

I have never had the need for a "caddy" but I have had many dealings with E-Buyer and that is why I pointed you in that direction - easy "returns" option should the item not be to your liking.

lotvic 12:01 06 Oct 2010

I don't bother with a caddy I just got one of these for £9.99inc. vat from ebuyer
Plexus USB to IDE & SATA Adapter With Power Adapter (Supports 2.5" / 3.5" IDE & Serial ATA Hard Disk) click here
you can plug in everything from CD readers and writers, DVD readers and writers, combo drives and every flavour of 2.5inch and 3.5inch hard drives.

six-h 12:30 06 Oct 2010

That's a clever bit of kit lotvic!

lotvic 12:36 06 Oct 2010

I like it, had it couple of years now.
Someone else on here recommended it to me.

northumbria61 15:02 06 Oct 2010

lotvic - that is certainly a better option than a caddy - I am sure at least one friend of mine would be interested. Thanks.

Epirb406 19:16 06 Oct 2010

Looks cheap and easy Lotvic, coul well be the way ahead, when it speaks of a power adaptor, is that a 240 to 5 volt item?

And anyone any experience of these? click here

Thanks for help so far,

Brgds, Epirb.

lotvic 19:56 06 Oct 2010

power adaptor is double channel output 12v and 5v
AC90v-264v, 47-63HZ (copied from label)
Just plugs into an ordinary 3 pin electric mains socket.

Epirb406 18:36 10 Oct 2010

Thanks for your help Lotvic, I now join the ranks of happy owners of these bits of kit!

Whirring away happily as we type.

Thanks for pointers

Epirb.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone