Hard drive broken

  Nightmanager 10:50 02 Aug 2009

I have my brothers hard drive in an external case connected to my pc and am trying to recover his data in his documents but my pc can get as far as the document and settings folder but unable to get into his documents to retrieve any of his data. I am able to fix his pc by putting a new hard drive in, but he really wants all his files retrieved from his documents. What is the best software to retrieve data?

  Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:20 02 Aug 2009

get as far as the document and settings folder but unable to get into his documents to retrieve any of his data.

What message do you get, Access Denied?

Access Files
If you get Access Denied in WinXP Pro. Try “taking ownership” of the file/folder before it can be accessed. First of all go to Folder Options, View Tab and in the Advanced Settings at the end, untick “Use simple file sharing”, which will allow the Security Tab to be shown in the file’s properties. Also, in Folder options, make sure hidden and system files can be viewed.
To take ownership of the file (it’s best done at the folder level), right-click it, Properties, Security Tab, add your user name, fill in all the permissions and Apply. You can now access it.
click here

Access Files XP Home
Simple file sharing is enabled by default in XP Home
Note You must be logged on to the computer with an account that has administrative credentials. If you are running Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition, you must start the computer in safe mode, and then log on with an account that has Administrative rights to have access to the Security tab.
click here
click here and click on the link at part one and download the required program.
Follow the instructions and the security tab will be enabled. PLEASE READ CAREFULLY OR YOU COULD DENY ACCESS TO ALL YOUR FILES.

  Nightmanager 11:31 02 Aug 2009

Thanks for the response fruit bat, but I don't think it is an access issue but I think the hard drive is corrupt or broken and I can only get as far as the corrupt area of the drive. There are no messages. It is as if the computer gets so far and then fails to respond. I have administrator rights and have used them to get as far as I have. My friend says he used some software of the Internet to retrieve pictures from a corrupt cd, this software cost him £20, but he can't remember what it was.

  Strawballs 11:34 02 Aug 2009

You say hard drive broken but still works in caddy, what was the original problem?

If it was not booting it could be just a bad sector where the boot files are, you could try downloading diagnostic software from hard drive maker which when burned to disc is bootable and there is a chance that the problem could be repairable.

  T0SH 13:36 02 Aug 2009

Run chkdsk on it to fix any file or folder corruption

Cheers HC

  Nightmanager 15:10 02 Aug 2009

Original problem was that my brothers computer would get to windows icon but not finish booting. I am not sure where i can chkdsk on my pc (Using Vista) to check the disk in the caddy

  Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:07 02 Aug 2009
  Nightmanager 17:03 02 Aug 2009

Tried to use chkdsk and the message states that I do not have sufficient privilages and the I have to envoke this utility running in elevated mode?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

Halloween Photoshop & Illustrator tutorials: 20 step-by-step guides to creating spook-tacular…

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?