hard drive in bios but unable to access

jambolleo 12:19 05 Jan 2010

On start up I can find my 2 hard drives (both have xp installed) in bios, but after start up my slave drive disappears. If i try starting up with the primary disconnected, the slave attempts to start but fails. I have a few pics on this drive i would like to rescue, if possible.

Graphicool1 12:39 05 Jan 2010

Are you sure your 'Slave Drive' is set to slave?

jambolleo 12:54 05 Jan 2010

yes it was set to slave, then when i try it on its own i change the bios to make it primary but it fails to start.

Deekio 16:05 05 Jan 2010

I think Graphicool1 has given you the right clue.
When you try to start up with the primary drive disconnected have you set the jumper on the back of the secondary drive to master before attempted start?

jambolleo 22:55 06 Jan 2010

it is connected using sata, the drive was initally a master on its own, then a few weeks ago it decided not to start up. Ive been using a second drive (ide) to access windows to try to open the problem drive. Ive also used another sata drive which works fine as a slave (to the ide drive), so i sure the wiring and motherboard is ok.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:07 07 Jan 2010

OK so you have a sata drive with XP that will not boot.

What are the exact symptoms?
" fail to find drive at all"
"finds drive but not operating system
tries to boot operating system but fails at XP bars"

woodchip 14:11 07 Jan 2010

If both have a Boot OS on them Windows may not know what to start without a boot manager installed

woodchip 14:13 07 Jan 2010

Have Had a Look in Drive Management

jambolleo 15:33 07 Jan 2010

with only the sata drive connected, it goes to black screen, where you choose which way to start.
If I chose star normally or last known I get the same result, the moving xp bar for a few minutes, then a flash ok blue screen then back to the black screen giving me start up choices again.
If I choose safe mode it comes up with a load repeated info

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:49 07 Jan 2010

Repair XP by install over the top of existing system

1. Boot the computer using the XP CD. You may need to change the boot order in the system BIOS so the CD boots before the hard drive. Check your system documentation for steps to access the BIOS and change the boot order.

2. When you see the "Welcome To Setup" screen, you will see This portion of the Setup program prepares Microsoft Windows XP to run on your computer:

To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.

To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R.

To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.

3. Press Enter to start the Windows Setup.

To setup Windows XP now and Repair Install , press ENTER.

DO NOT choose "To repair a Windows XP installation using the Recovery Console, press R", (you Do Not want to load Recovery Console).

4. Accept the License Agreement and Windows will search for existing Windows installations.

5. Select the XP installation you want to repair from the list and press R to start the repair.

6. Setup will copy the necessary files to the hard drive and reboot.

Do not press any key to boot from CD when the message appears.

Setup will continue as if it were doing a clean install, but your applications and settings will remain intact.

Repair XP
click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

5 best 3D model websites

iPhone 8 vs iPhone X

WhatsApp : comment lire vos messages sans que l’expéditeur le sache