Hard drive backup/copy

kawak 09:36 18 Jan 2007

My MESH computer is a couple of years old and a problem has occured with the hard drive. They have asked me to remove the hard drive & send it back to them so that they can send a replacement.

Do I need to create a backup of everything stored on it? If so can anyone tell me how to?

Graham. 09:44 18 Jan 2007

You will need to back-up any files, photos, address book , etc., to CD/DVD. You cannot back-up programs in this way.

The easiest way is to purchase Norton Ghost or similar. That will make a copy of the entire hard drive which you can then load onto the new drive.

kawak 09:55 18 Jan 2007

Thanks Graham - I've mada a backup on CD of photos, documents etc., but it was all the other things on the C:drive that i was worried about. Will norton Ghost do this?

Graham. 10:02 18 Jan 2007

Apologies - still asleep. If you use Norton Ghost, it will back-up everything. I forgot to say you will need somewhere to store the back-up, an external hard drive for instance, or a slave drive in the PC.

It may be cheaper to forget Mesh and buy another hard drive. Although I assume Mesh would load Windows and any programs included when you bought it.

kawak 10:10 18 Jan 2007

Graham
The PC is still under warranty so the replacement isn't going to cost me anything.

How do I know if there's a slave drive in the PC?

Graham. 10:43 18 Jan 2007

It's doubtful whether there is a slave drive there now, but you can check: Start, right click My Computer, Manage, Disc Management.

From what you say I don't think you need to do anything more in the way of back-up.

kawak 10:50 18 Jan 2007

So if i buy an external hard drive and Norton Ghost (or similar) I should be ok right? i.e when Mesh send me the new hard drive I just upload everything back onto it?

Am a bit of a novice when it comes to technical stuff like this!

Graham. 10:58 18 Jan 2007

Yes, the PC will be just as it is now. Of course, you can then use the external drive and Ghost to do regular back-ups.

kawak 11:01 18 Jan 2007

Brilliant, thanks Graham for all you'r help!
I'll be back if I need any more sound advice.
Thanks again.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?