Hard Drive Amnesia

PhiltheFragger 16:30 06 Aug 2003

A chum has 2 hard discs on his system, one master and a slave. All the programs and windows are on C drive and all his documents on D.

The computer suddenly stopped showing D drive in My Computer although it is recognised in the bios.

I checked it and ran fdisk to view the partition and found that the partition has evaporated. Basically it is acting like a brand new unformatted Hdd. But it is full of Data

Can I get it back? is there some magic DOS command that can rescue this info
And any idea what caused it

It is a home built system Athlon XP2000 Win 98 SE about 8 months old

Cheers

Philip

Bodi 18:27 06 Aug 2003

several programs you can buy that might do this for you.

I have Ontrack Easy Recovery, but have only used it once - on a corrupted floppy drive and was unsuccessful. So this probably is not very helpful, but at least it will put you to the top again.

Bodi

Bodi 18:29 06 Aug 2003

Could be that your slave drive has died, but you could try physically disconnecting it and booting without it. Shut down and then connect it again - you never know, it might work.

Bodi

paddyjack 19:14 06 Aug 2003

To follow on from Bodi take the drive out and bung it in the freezer for half hour or so. I have pulled this trick once and it worked, no idea as to why, but it might be worth trying

xania 21:04 06 Aug 2003

Partition magic click here has a facility for recovering deleted partitions - don't be too put off by the price - you should be able to get V6.0 much cheaper on Ebay

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone