Hard drive almost completely used by Trojan Horse?

Hoodie 20:37 23 Sep 2004

XP pro in use with 2.4GB processor& 256Mb RAM with 40 gig hard drive. Boot up ran gradually slower & slower. AVG, Spybot & Adaware did find a trojan horse and several viruses and dealt with them. All rerun agin and indicate a clean system, but now it is more difficult to boot up and "c" drive indicates almost full HELP NEEDED, or is new hard drive the remedy.

Dan the Confused 20:45 23 Sep 2004

What is taking up all the room? Can't you delete it?

Hoodie 20:51 23 Sep 2004

I cant find the reason for this using windows explorer

Mankster 20:54 23 Sep 2004

go to "MY COMPUTER" right click on local C: and tell what amount of free space there is. and as a foot note, if you have any spare cash it is well worth investing in another 256k mb ram of exactly same brand, its very cheap at the moment. Recently i purchased a 180gig hdd along with 512mb ram for less than £80.

JonnyTub 20:54 23 Sep 2004

run disk cleanup by right clicking on your c: drive and choosing properties / disk cleanup, the viruses may have created a whole load of garbage that simply needs deleteing. It could also be that the viruses have made copies of your files everywhere and so a file duplicator finder eraser programme would be handy, another thing is to clean out your registry from defunct items with an appropriate cleaner.

Dan the Confused 21:11 23 Sep 2004

It would be useful to know the viruses/malware that were removed. (AVG, Ad-aware and Spybot keep logs you can refer to.)

Hoodie 21:11 23 Sep 2004

Thanks folks.
I think I have a registry cleaner prog. but is there a free file duplicator prog available

JonnyTub 21:16 23 Sep 2004

some free to try one's here click here

gudgulf 21:18 23 Sep 2004

When searching for the culprit files make sure you can see hidden folders (in explorer go to tools/folder options/view and tick display hidden files and folders ).Also clear out all your temp files click here is an ecxellent free utility to do this.

JonnyTub 21:22 23 Sep 2004

could it be that you have reached your hard drive capacity and need to upgrade?

Hoodie 21:44 23 Sep 2004

Ta All
Regret that I hae had to use a neighbours PC as I cannot access internet now on my own . Have to sign off tonight . will post again tomorrow.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?