hard drive

musiclady 14:05 14 Oct 2010

just lost a hard drive with the os on can i install on other hd and not lose my stuff stored on it?

If there is enough space you could partition the drive so you have an OS partition and your old media partition. If there isn't enough space however you will either need to wipe your secondary HDD or buy a new one.

woodchip 15:56 14 Oct 2010

Yesif you have the Operating System CD and drivers. Then fit the old one as Slave to get your files of it

Squirrel1 20:19 14 Oct 2010

Has the Hard Drive failed completely or has the OS become so corrupted that it no longer functions?

If the Hard Drive has failed completely, then you wold have to go for data recovery 'expsensive', but if the Hard drive is still functional, you can but a nifty bit of kit on-line that allows you to connect either SATA or PATA (IDE) drives to a USB port of another PC and recover your files.

Once you have backed up your files you can istall a new HDD in your PC, install the OS and drivers etc, then re-instate your files......

OR...

Use RAID.

I have two RAID Sets on my PC:

Two 500GB WD drives in RAID 0 (which improves performance) for the OS and Application and two 1TB drives in RAID 1 (which provides redundancy) for my files.

Just a thought!

Hard Drives are as cheap as chips.....No pun intended!

musiclady 22:10 14 Oct 2010

i think the hd has died, nothing i need on it, keep my essential stuff on my 200gb hard, so checking out some new ones, a lot cheaper now, ccl computers have some decent looking ones

thanks guys

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?