hard drive

jon2 17:25 09 Apr 2010

is it possible to use an internal hard drive to make an external one

john bunyan 17:28 09 Apr 2010

Not sure what you mean. You can make an image or a clone of an internal HD to an external one either caddy mounted or as a USB. You can copy data files, but this will not let you restore programme files. Please give a bit more info on what you want to do, also what OS.

jon2 17:30 09 Apr 2010

I have a spare internal drive and I would like to use it as an external one, ie in its own case as a portible

MAT ALAN 17:34 09 Apr 2010

click here
click here

corse ya can...

john bunyan 18:21 09 Apr 2010

What I did was to get a removable SATA caddy from Maplins. This "Hot Docks" into the tower and can be switched on and off with a key, In the unlocked (Off) mode, the HD can be removed elsewhere for safe keeping in its caddy. A flap hides the gap where it sits. I use it to clone from the primary with ATI, making an image on a USB HD as well.Advantage to removable caddy is the speed of transfer is same as internal master/slave.

DieSse 23:39 09 Apr 2010

Cases - examples

click here

You need to ensure

- it's for the right drive physical size (ie a laptop size 2.5" drive or a desktop 3.5" drive

- it's the correct interface for the drive inside (ie SATA or PATA (known commonly as IDE))

- it's the interface to the computer that you want to use (ie USB (probably you'll want USB) - or FireWire, or eSATA).

3.5" drive cases should come with an external power supply.

2.5" drive cases usually come with a special double headed USB cable, or two USB cable, one for data, the other to supply extra power where required.

Cases are available just about anywhere - google for them.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

This is what design agencies will look like in 2032

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

WhatsApp : comment lire vos messages sans que l’expéditeur le sache