hard drive

YAMA 17:37 11 Jun 2009

hi all boffins,-- my hard drive as just started playing up 12mths old dell vostro deskto what it is showing in properties is that the h/d is nearly full, did a defrag, then noticed that there was a lot of red (files) and just a small amount of white,( empty space) at the moment , so can any one explane what has gone wrong and haw to rectify it,await your replies
thanks yama

birdface 18:54 11 Jun 2009

This is a good defrag program.click here well worth a try.

lotvic 18:55 11 Jun 2009

Do you mean that you don't think the HDD should be so full?

How many Gb of data (My Docs) do you have and how big Gb's is the HDD

mooly 18:57 11 Jun 2009

What's the size of the partition ?
Have you tried running disc cleanup and under more options deleting old restore points and shadow copies.

YAMA 09:18 13 Jun 2009

thanks for replys, buteman thanks down loaded and tried that stil the same, lotvic, my doc 46.6 gb program 3.6gb win 4.41gb, and as it is showing on my local disc properties general USED 127GB FREE 21GB. --- there lies the problem thanks yama

T I M B O 10:12 13 Jun 2009

This too is quite a good defrag software >>click here

If you wish, you can also free up some more space, altho i don't think thats the problem, but you can remove all but the last restore point. To do this, click on "disk cleanup" & click ok on drive C: & wait for the to do it's scan. Once this has completed you will get a new window, and on top u will see 2 tabs, click on "More Options" then look down to System Restore and click on the button "Clean Up" then if u wish to proceed click "Yes".

Best of luck !!

T I M B O 10:14 13 Jun 2009

From memory also, another friend of mine had this issue some years ago, i did a check disk and the defrag worked fine afterwards, here are the steps to do this.

1) Click Start

2) Click My Computer

3) Right Click Drive (C:)

4) Click Properties

5) Click Tools

6) Erro-Checking Click Check Now

6) Tick Both Boxes

7) Click Start

Taff™ 10:23 13 Jun 2009

My moneys on System Error Memory Dump Files. As above 1-4 and on the General Tab click the Disk Clean Up as mooly suggested. Scroll down and look at the last three system error reporting - how big are they?

YAMA 12:50 13 Jun 2009

again thanks for the replies, have done that taff, you see the problem is in fact i have only used 53.odd gb of the 160h/d,

and as you can see by my report the h/d is showing a massive 127 gb used, and 21 gb free, ? there lies the question, do you think it is showing early sign's of packing up,
regards yama

T I M B O 12:56 13 Jun 2009

Thats why i said to do a "Chkdsk"

woodchip 13:39 13 Jun 2009

You first need to remove all Dross and Programs you do not use or need or use, before Defrag

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?