Hard Drive

Fullywired 12:38 23 Mar 2009

Hi Guys

Bit of a storage dilemma at the moment. currently use my PC for alot of media and gaming.

currently have an antec 300 case with 5 hard drives in:
2x160Gb in RAID0 for OS & programs
1x320Gb used for photos, music and downloads thats getting quite full
1x500Gb i use for backing up my DVDs because i want to conserve the originals as long as possible
1x1Tb used to store all my video media, many of these are very large files as i use a HD camcorder

my problem is that all 3 of the storage drives are getting full and i have between 1% and 5% left on each drive.

i have been looking at RAID recently and am debating buying afew more 1Tb Drives but not sure what the best configuration is. what happens in RAID5 if one drive fails? and what happens in RAID1 if one drive fails? i dont want to use RAID0 for my video drive because if the RAID fails then i cant recover most of my video

at the moment i am thinking of buying a PCI-E 1x raid card to run the OS drives from that and then i have 4 or 5 ports left for a storage array, but not sure what kind at all!

im using an Asus Maximus formula with an X38 Chipsed and Intel ICH9

Any help and advice appreciated

Regards

MAJ 13:33 23 Mar 2009

"what happens in RAID5 if one drive fails?"

There are three or more disks in the array and the data is protected if one disk fails.

"and what happens in RAID1 if one drive fails?"

The data is safe on the other disk as the data is 'mirrored'.

But having read your post, I was struck by the fact that, other than your DVDs, you haven't mentioned backing up your files. While a RAID array does that to an extent, it's no substitute for proper backups. I think you need to consider that, more than adding more arrays. Are some of the drives you list, external drives, or are they all internal?

Fullywired 17:41 23 Mar 2009

so a 3 disk RAID5 OR a 2 disk RAID1 will keep all of my data provided only one drive fails? what is the downtime if one drive fails? with the PC keep working and rebuild when i replace a drive or will i need to replace a drive before i can start the PC again.

as for backup im afraid that is something else i also struggle with, mainly due to sheer volume of data that i have, i have a 320Gb IDE drive in a USB enclosure that i use to back up my main projects for my media and also all of my photos. i also burn my photos to DVDs every time i format the memory card but i would like some form of backup but from what i can see, backing up that amount of data usually incurrs quite a cost!

Regards

Longhouse 20:17 23 Mar 2009

Not sure about RAID5 but with RAID1 it's likely that your PC will continue to operate as "normal" without interruption. When you replace the defective drive you can / will be asked to rebuild the array from the remaining healthy disk (it's happened to me and was I glad I'd elected to have a RAID1 for my data drive!)

MAJ 20:25 23 Mar 2009

"so a 3 disk RAID5 OR a 2 disk RAID1 will keep all of my data provided only one drive fails?"

Yes.

"what is the downtime if one drive fails? with the PC keep working and rebuild when i replace a drive or will i need to replace a drive before i can start the PC again."

Sorry, Fullywired, I have no indepth practical knowledge of RAID arrays, I never had the need to set one up myself, but there are a few members on the forum who do use RAID arrays and I'm sure one of them will soon pick up your thread.

Your needs are enormous compared with anything I have needed to backup, so I do see your dilemma in that respect. Maybe a few drive images using Acronis True Image and stored to a large external drive is the way to go for backups. Assuming you need to keep all your videos, pictures, etc., just keep buying more drives, lol.

Fullywired 16:46 24 Mar 2009

thanks for the help guys!

currently looking and doin buying the following from ebuyer:

2x Removable hard drive caddys (item: 143275)
1x 2 port raid card (item: 152107)
1x Samsung Spinpoint F1 1Tb (item: 143288)

my idea is to run my OS (RAID0) drives from the RAID card to give me space on the onboard SATA controller and then have the new 1Tb and the old 1Tb in the caddys so they are removable when i need to take data away with me.

i will have to do some more research into RAID and then invest in another 1Tb at a later date to decide on some which solution to choose

anyone got any idea about the RAID card im looking at?

Regards

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

50 best online Adobe XD tutorials

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?