hard drive

neilmack 21:02 02 Jan 2008

my hard drive activity light is always on "running" even when I am not using a progam or searching
causing my system to hesitate when moving to a different program, egg timer shows for too long
Win XP PRO
I have run my "AVG" virus program but no problems reported

Gongoozler 08:00 03 Jan 2008

How much memory does your computer have?

RLMTS 09:26 03 Jan 2008

I wonder if it's worth calling up Windows Task Manager and looking at what Applications and Processes are running? (Ctrl+Alt+Del)

When looking at processes click the CPU column tab twice to order the processes to see heaviest uses at top of list (though this does refer to CPU usage and not Disk usage, but may be a guide to what is so busy in the background)

Also, what about other virus, adware, software that may be running (the above Task Mngr view may give some clues?)

Also, certain 'search' software (eg Coppernic) will do its 'indexing' in the background when you are not busy, then suspends when you start to use the pc.

Rich.

Ganymede 11:10 03 Jan 2008

Based on the info supplied so far..

While the Task Manager is useful to check which programs/processes are running its not so good at determining which process is hogging hard drive access. Rich point this out in his response.

AVG schedules file checking on the hard drive to locate any viruses. This can take a very long time to complete. In AVG Options change the setting for AVG to scan when you are not using the computer (but have left it switched on).

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017