Hard Drive?

maa970f 17:07 28 Jul 2007

Hello all,

Running Windows XP
I have two hard drives, C and D, the latter from my earlier computer that failed. Went to My documents on D and I get the error message. 'Disc is not formatted, format now?'
Did a reboot and the disc checker came up during re-boot and said D\My Documents is totally unreadable, file reference removed.
Went to the system error log and I have a string of 'D' errors which says disc has bad block. Windows troubleshooter seems to be fairly useless, although XP is very new to me. Is there any way of recovering all my files?

Alec

brundle 18:29 28 Jul 2007

There are lots of recovery tools available;
click here

Check the HD for problems with a manufacturers diagnostic too; click here

malcolme 18:34 28 Jul 2007

Go to my computer
Right click on D drive
Select properties
Run error checking and it might recover some of your files, though the HDD might be the reason your old pc failed.

Rich_B 18:54 28 Jul 2007

Hi Alec,
To check you D drive, Click Start and Run, then type in: C:\WINDOWS\system32\chkdsk.exe D:

This will open a command prompt window. It should display a checking routine from 0 - 100% with nothing exciting. If it doesn't then the D drive has lost it's will to live.
Good luck
Rich

maa970f 21:34 28 Jul 2007

Hello all,

no luck I'm afraid with your suggestions. My documents, when looked at by a data recovery programme showed it to be empty and the disc checker on XP says it is unreadable.
I also tried the disc recovery tool to no avail.

many thanks for the help.

Alec

woodchip 22:05 28 Jul 2007

Before you give up on the Disc. Is the XP that you are using Fat 32 to find out Double click on My computer then right click on C:\ As if the Comp is running Fat 32 and the old disc is NTFS it may have a problem reading it

maa970f 22:30 28 Jul 2007

Hello Woodchip,

it is the other way around, C: is NTFS and D: is Fat 32. It has run that way for 6 months with no problems.

Alec

woodchip 22:39 28 Jul 2007

Then the drive may be on it's way out> it could be the MBR is corrupt on that Drive. Why not download a Disc troubleshooter from the Hard Drive site. If it's a Seagate then Seatools is the Program, it will also check Generic other discs. Check the Download in blue text hear, If you have a Floppy Drive I would suggest the DOS version click here

woodchip 22:41 28 Jul 2007

If it's corrupt it may be able to fix it. If not you could use TestDisk click here

maa970f 08:52 29 Jul 2007

Hello Woodchip,

I ran the Seagate disc checker, short test failed, long test gave 66 bad sectors and reported disc over temperature. I think that the missing files have gone. I know that I have backup on CD for some but not all. More a nuisance than disaster.

Thanks for your help.

Alec

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

See mcbess's iconic style animated for Mercedes-Benz

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires