Hard disk transplant

SheffieldSpy 11:46 07 Sep 2003

I have two computers, one running windows XP, while the other runs Windows98SE. The latter one has just died. PSU failure, I think. However the machine isn't used enough to justify buying a new PSU. However I need some files on the hard disk in the dead computer. Can I plug in this hard disk into my computer and be able to boot into Windows98? Is this possible without re-installing Windows? How do I add the boot option for windows98 into my boot.ini file, bearing in mind that the setup is on a separate HDD?

I hope this makes sense.

powerless 11:55 07 Sep 2003

It would easier just to add the drive and boot into Windows XP. XP will see the new 98 drive and its just a case of dragging the files over.

MAJ 11:57 07 Sep 2003

The best way to do it is to add your old hard disk to the new computer as a slave and simply copy the files you need across to the new hard dive. You don't need to worry about Win 98. A new PSU is about £20, well worth it to keep the old PC, in my opinion, SheffieldSpy.

seedie 12:44 07 Sep 2003

MAJ has a good point, get a PSU.You've already learnt the value of having two computers.

graham√ 12:47 07 Sep 2003

Are you sure it's not just the plug fuse that's blown?

SheffieldSpy 18:36 07 Sep 2003

I am pritty sure its not the plug fuse. I have used the cable that powers this computer an it still doesn't work. Just to check the socket, I can plug in a lamp and it works.

graham√ 19:47 07 Sep 2003

There may be a fuse inside the PSU, though if it is blown this may still indicate a problem.

SheffieldSpy 08:23 08 Sep 2003

I take it from all the warning labels that I may not be able to check the fuse in the PSU?

MAJ 09:15 08 Sep 2003

If you're not sure about electricity, SheffieldSpy, stay to hell out of the PSU. There are things in there that'll give you a nasty shock.

SheffieldSpy 15:45 08 Sep 2003

Don't worry MAJ, I have no plans to go inside the PSU.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment regarder des séries et talk-shows américains en France ?